Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Trustfire F23 build. Crazy small.

After seeing rhd make one, i realized I had everything I needed, so I got to work.

I've had this host sitting in my basement for a couple of months now, but all the internals missing.

1bvb.jpg

So, I figured no problem. I'll just make my own i machined this pill...
This is a front view where the module slides in to. It's a press fit.
2mwm.jpg

This is the back view where i made a step to mount my ak-007 driver. Another boost drive from DX i had laying around. I removed the top PCB board to make it a single mode driver.
3oho.jpg

Then i stole the diode from my other 445nm build. The module is custom machined because i was too impatient to wait for my aixiz module to arrive.
4dkd.jpg

Attached some pretty silicone leads with shrink tubing.
5dpd.jpg

Then i pressed the module into the sleeve/pill i made. It was a really tight fit!! I had to use my body weight to get it to slide in.
6lol.jpg

Now the driver is ready to be mounted. I accidently cut the white lead when pressing the module in. Luckily it was still plenty long enough.
7.jpg

Leads are soldered onto the driver and the driver pressed into place. I now have a self enclosed pill..nothing to bend or snag...
8sps.jpg

Simply pop the pill into the host and your ready to go.
9djd.jpg

I've never seen so much power come out of a laser so small. This thing is crazyness!!
I don't have a LPM nor did i test the driver output before turning it on.
10wrw.jpg

This thing burns like a charm and is powered off a single 10440. I lost my lighter today, but luckily i had this little badass on me at work.

LaZeRz

COOL :D

That direct press HS is awesome

nice work :D

+1

EDIT: ROFL "you have given out too much reputation in the past 24 hours" :crackup:

Last edited:

rhd

So cool! That's awesome - much cooler than my original build thread!

+ 1

That's awesome! After making my LOC build which is 10cm, I'm growing very fond of small builds.

yeah these are really awesome. Best laser i've had yet. the shiny smooth stainless steel in such a tiny package. It's amazing every time this thing lights up to see something so powerful come out of something so small.

yeah these are really awesome. Best laser i've had yet. the shiny smooth stainless steel in such a tiny package. It's amazing every time this thing lights up to see something so powerful come out of something so small.

That's what she said.

Sorry, had to.

Hey Moh, have you tried measuring the battery draw current?

It really should't go over 600mA, maybe 700mA if you've got quality batteries, because you're going to slowly destroy them with too much current draw.

Build itself is very nicely done. What did you use to machine out Aixiz housing replacement? Doesn't look like aluminium, with those numbers on it's side, I'd say it's an offcut of a steel somewhere.

Very nice overall :)

Hey Moh, have you tried measuring the battery draw current?

It really should't go over 600mA, maybe 700mA if you've got quality batteries, because you're going to slowly destroy them with too much current draw.

Build itself is very nicely done. What did you use to machine out Aixiz housing replacement? Doesn't look like aluminium, with those numbers on it's side, I'd say it's an offcut of a steel somewhere.

Very nice overall :)

It's aluminum, those circles in the side are just dig marks from the set screw when it was in my old build.

I like it. I really wish I could make my own pills, damnit! I want a lathe! Unfortunately, there's no way a lathe would fit in my dorm room when I go off to school....

Anyway, I am sure they have machinists and machines down at ASU. So... I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer.

Damnit i'm too late again... I just got a dozen of these last week that I was going to convert and put up for sale.

I guess the only real way to offer a host nobody else does is to make your own.. damnit

I was waiting until I finished the batch to announce them.

100_0725.JPG

and by the way, the stock drivers they come with will run a PHR at 90mw on high off a AAA. If you want to use a 10440 you'd need something more robust than a PHR though. They'll run a LOC at around 150mW off a AAA as well but you have to electrically isolate the diode or the driver won't function correctly.

I have a PHR built one that i've been playing with for about 4 days and I love the hell out of it. Actually the 120hz pwm 'low' mode is my favorite.

Also keep in mind that the stock drivers these come with quit regulating and go direct-drive when input voltage goes over 3.3v or so.

Last edited:
Yeah i'm not sure what i did with the stock driver and pill....it was missing when i got to the basement, so I used the ak-007 driver from DX.

Wannaburn was selling these a while back. I have no intention of selling or offering anything for these, especially since you can use all the stock parts and shove an aixiz right in there.

He was? I did a search and couldn't find anyone advertising f23 or ef23's before I ordered the batch or else I wouldn't have. And You need slightly more than just an aixiz module. You still need a spacer for it since the ID is around 14mm inside the light if I remember correctly. Though it doesn't take much. so they were going to be a 'really cheap host' option for low power (relatively) builds unless the stock driver was replaced.

How well does the the ak-007 regulate off li-ions? I know the stock drivers in the ef23 will work with them, but are basically direct drive until the voltage gets down to 3.3v or so.

Hmm. DX's specs say the ak-007 is 1.5v max. I bet it behaves similar to the stock one in the ef23's, and 700mw or so sounds about right from a direct drive 445 on 4.2v

Last edited:
Hmm. DX's specs say the ak-007 is 1.5v max. I bet it behaves similar to the stock one in the ef23's, and 700mw or so sounds about right from a direct drive 445 on 4.2v
Actually directly driven 445nm diodes from one lithium ion battery usually result in somewhere between 200 to 400mW max, depending on diode variances and battery quality and charge.

Nowhere near Class IV though.