Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

True power of green laser?

Hey guys I have this laser from rayfoss, but it can't light matches like other lasers Ive seen on youtube

www.rayfoss.com

Is there any way I can test to find out if it REALLY has the power it said when I bought it or should I just give up and get a power meter?

norbyx

Just as LivinLoud states... there is no real way to tell the power of a laser other than a LPM. Now if you are looking for a burning laser the best option you can get (for the money) is probably a blue laser more than a green.
Green lasers are very expensive and to get a 1W green it would cost you about $1000, While you can get a 1W blue it can be found for less than $200.
Check my post on the BST section I have some nice lasers for sale and I can provide proof of power with LPM readings.

8y24.png

Not everyone needs a LPM.
And a LPM is not cheap.
If you are just gonna take the laser hobby casually, you can rely on the chart above for a VERY ROUGH idea about your laser's power.

However, do bear in mind ,the burning power of lasers rely on more than just output. Divergence and beam diameters are important too.
So don't rely on the chart to save your life.
Mmhhh ok?

Last edited:

That graph doesnt mean jack crap, its just a "general reference" list and a shatty one at that AKA dont even both looking at it, EVER! like ive said before ive seen a 35mW 532nm light a match but according to that list it can even pop a balloon never mind light a match. ive also seen a 300mW 650nm not light a match and 50mW should be able to do that according to that list. oh and BTW they are my lasers so i should know.

it all matters on how well you can focus the laser beam or use external lens to help aid the beam. LPMs ARE THE ONE AND ONLY WAY TO DETERMINE A LASERS POWER

BTW they are not called Laser POWER Meters for nothing :na:

Last edited:
That graph doesnt mean jack crap, its just a "general reference" list. like ive said before ive seen a 35mW 532nm light a match but according to that list it can even pop a balloon never mind light a match. ive also seen a 300mW 650nm not light a match and 50mW should be able to do that according to that list. oh and BTW they are my lasers so i should know.

it all matters on how well you can focus the laser beam or use external lens to help aid the beam. LPMs ARE THE ONE AND ONLY WAY TO DETERMINE A LASERS POWER

BTW they are not called Laser POWER Meters for nothing :na:

I know .. I know!

But I'm just providing them with an alternative .
However crude it is.

LPM are the ONE AND ONLY TRUE way to determine laser power.
But the chart is for casual folks who just want to fool around mmmk?

Last edited:
i guess its the best thing for someone without a LPM to use but as my example shows, it doesnt prove crap. best bet if you have a LPM is visit the list of members with a LPM and sent it out to one of them to meter and return to you. i am willing to do this for free (just pay shipping and return shipping. id test it multiple times for you and then provide you with digital copies of the testings for your records. you could always find someone in ohio to use if you wanted but my offer stands for anyone who is interested. i havent added myself to the LPM member list yet but i have a 5W ophir

i guess its the best thing for someone without a LPM to use but as my example shows, it doesnt prove crap. best bet if you have a LPM is visit the list of members with a LPM and sent it out to one of them to meter and return to you. i am willing to do this for free (just pay shipping and return shipping. id test it multiple times for you and then provide you with digital copies of the testings for your records. you could always find someone in ohio to use if you wanted but my offer stands for anyone who is interested. i havent added myself to the LPM member list yet but i have a 5W ophir

hold on a sec.
Whats with the Lucky 300mW model in your signature :crackup:
You got ripped off?

Last edited:
no you read it wrong. the highest powered HL532 that laserbtb makes is a 300mW model. mine came in at over 400mW so its 100-150mW OVER-spec.....lucky IMO

EDIT: guess it could be hard to understand so im fixing the wording now

Last edited:
no you read it wrong. the highest powered HL532 that laserbtb makes is a 300mW model. mine came in at over 400mW so its 100-150mW OVER-spec.....lucky IMO

EDIT: guess it could be hard to understand so im fixing the wording now

ohhhh its in reverse :crackup:
my bad

ARG

100mW won't cut electrical tape if it's huge :p

While that chart is a decent ballpark guess it would be far more useful if the rating was by power density.