Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

True Green 30mW from BestOfferBuy.com

Geen diode.
30mW
532nm wavelength.
Class IIIb
Thats what it says on sticker on side where the DANGER sticker is.
OK Got mine today. $25 free shipping. Live in the U.S. BTW. Simple pen design, momentary switch only. Overall construction is simply OK. Light coating, feels rubberish(non slip feel). Aluminum housing. I would rate it a 6 out of 10. Threads where you put the battery in are too large machined and difficult to put back together. Will eventually strip out. Changed batteries once, and already see aluminum flaking in threads. IF they strip out, black tape will hold it together, no big deal. Batteries rattle around inside if you shake it gently to get any kind of effect that way, like say to make a small circle on wall. I'm newish to lasers, this is first buy for me other than 5mW reds. I have stripped diods from burners and have a great feel for powerful lasers. Although I burned em up in a few play sessions. Now for the beam. I think when they say TRUE GREEN 30mW. They mean it. This is a great starter pen! In fact, I would recommend this to anyone who is new to this. Button rattles around too. OH and it has a power- up feature built in. Starts out dim and brightens up in like 5 seconds. although in directions it says: warm up time in 2-3 minutes. nuff said.

--------WARNING------ I'm going to lecture-----Go to bottom for overall rating.--------
This beam is dangerously bright however. Please understand this if you are just beginning to get into lasers. To give you an example, if you stare at the beam shining on a cement floor, it will hurt you! I do NOT have safety glasses. I have taken a few shots of reflections tonite, and I am not liking it. I'm STUPID. Please, understand this: If you are new, looking for cheap thrills, and do NOT think that you could be in danger, you are wrong.
The pain in my left eye as I type this, is my lesson. If it feels better in the morning, I will thank God, and then order saftey glasses. If it does NOT feel better, then I will end my obsession for laser pens and snap this one in half. It is NOT worth it to mess with your eyesight, especially for people who just want to pop ballons or light matches. Believe me, matches come with a striker on the side. And you can pop a balloon with a PIN. If you want to buy a bigger laser, then buy the damn safety glasses too. Even a cheap 30mW laser is damned bright, and you need the saftey glasses. -- So sorry this turned in to a Father figure lecture. But it needed to be said.

Overall rating for a $25 and free shipping, first time buyer, green laser pen. 10/10. Im very happy. In fact I do not desire any stronger laser now. This really does everything I really wanted to do.
I have an OLD red 5mW laser pen. I took out the front cap and diode and tada! I have a beam adjustment , made of brass.
I put it in front of the $25 laser and guess what, it indeed burns.
If my eye feels better tomarrow, i will order saftey glasses and 2 more of these.

Is the IR really that bad from such a low powered laser? Unless you look just beside the green beam into the aperture (who would do that?), I don't think the IR is a big deal as it spreads out so fast. The green light is the issue.

LazerGuy said:
Is the IR really that bad from such a low powered laser? Unless you look just beside the green beam into the aperture (who would do that?), I don't think the IR is a big deal as it spreads out so fast. The green light is the issue.
When you are talking about reflections off of windows that might lightly pass the eye at what, half of the power since most of the green passes through the glass? I think in this case your eye would be fine if it's a 30mw.

I don't think the IR dissipates very fast, people have described it as a flashlight sized beam, so at 10-15 ft it could still be pretty concentrated. Also, I'm pretty sure a 30mw green laser would need something like 100mw of IR to power it. I'm not sure though, I heard it was something like 30% efficiency.

What are you talking about? I've not mentioned anything about reflections off a window... :-?

100mW of IR or more is surely used for powering a 30mW green. But all the IR does not pass through of course. There should not be more than a few mWs of IR in that laser.

I'm not 100% sure, but this is what i've heard.

LazerGuy said:
What are you talking about? I've not mentioned anything about reflections off a window... :-?

100mW of IR or more is surely used for powering a 30mW green. But all the IR does not pass through of course. There should not be more than a few mWs of IR in that laser.

I'm not 100% sure, but this is what i've heard.
That's correct. Most of the IR is converted to green or lost in the process. Not much IR gets out in the end.