Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

True 30 trouble

I got a DX true 30mW, and its acting pretty funny. Sometimes the beam will be going real good and strong, but other times it will start off really bright, then quickly die down to a very dull spot, the brightness of a cheap red pointer. Is this the unit overheating? Should i give it a duty cycle?

Switch

Make sure that the batteries are nice and strong.It could also be related to heat.What would you say the ambient temperature is?

Cheap rechargeables from DX cause my DX30 to do that. Have you been using it for a while when it dims like that? Some DX30s like to dim when they get warm after they have been used a little bit. Some dim when they are cold too.

Yeah, susually seems to be after constant use, and usually quits after i let it sit for a good while.
Now that thats answered, what are some good batteries to use?

Maelstrom said:
Yeah, susually seems to be after constant use, and usually quits after i let it sit for a good while.
Now that thats answered, what are some good batteries to use?
Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AAAs. They are the ultimate battery, plus they are rechargeable. I use them in my DX30.

VW

What are the thoughts on Duracel Ultra M3? I use them in my Hulk and they last for ages, I've had it two months and I'm still only on my second set...

I know, old thread is old, but I have exactly the same problem. It neither seems to be heat related nor to be battery related because using eneloops didn't fix the problem at all and putting the laser into the refrigerator didn't make the time before the next dim-down any longer. The beam starts quite bright and then looses power within milliseconds. What should we do?.

buy a nova 55 .its the old you get what you pay for line 'although you do run across some kick A$$ deals on this forum from time to time ;D

Electric Eye said:
I know, old thread is old, but I have exactly the same problem. It neither seems to be heat related nor to be battery related because using eneloops didn't fix the problem at all and putting the laser into the refrigerator didn't make the time before the next dim-down any longer. The beam starts quite bright and then looses power within milliseconds. What should we do?.

sounds like you just have a bunk laser. If you're ballsy you could try taking it apart and messing with the crystals for better output

OK, but how do I take it apart? Can I screw off the cap with some force? Or is it glued together and I have to pull it apart? I thought of turning the pot down so it produces less heat. Is this a good idea?

the caps are press fitted onto the end of the laser, they usually require a lot of force to get them off though