Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Troubleshooting my Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... Here's my problem.

When I built my Dorcy Mini Mod using the Group Buy diode, it worked GREAT for about a week. I never dropped it, kept it to about a 15s Duty cycle, and was very careful not to let it overheat, or get damaged. I followed the guide for the laser that was posted on these forums, and made sure to use thermal compound to sink the heat from the diode to the casing efficiently.

When I turned it on earlier today, it didn't seem quite as bright. Then, after a few seconds of it being on, it dimmed even further, to the point where I could BARELY even see the dot (Easily <1mW). Now, every time I turn it on, it's somewhat bright for a second or so, then dims quickly to the barely visible dot. The length of time it stays bright seems to be proportional to the amount of time I leave the laser off.

I spent all my money on diodes and supplies, and I didn't even think to buy extra batteries. I went to the store, and one CR123a Battery is TWELVE DOLLARS at Target, and they don't have any more Dorcy Mini's (which I'll end up buying another one eventually), so I don't have another battery to test this on.

Is my problem that I killed the battery, or did I kill the diode? If I killed the diode, what did I do wrong? I haven't been using this thing that much, so I find it hard to believe I've used up the battery already (I'd say that my whole usage amounts to maybe an hour of on-time), plus when the battery dies, shouldn't the laser turn off altogether? However, I'm also confused how I could have damaged the diode, since i've been extra-careful to prevent the insides from getting dirty, or overheating.

Any ideas?

If it's bright to dim, I would put my money on the battery, although I have no clue of why it would run out from such little use.

I agree with rob, If the diode were dead, it would never go bright at all, it would remain dim. Make sure to test your battery and if that is ok , look for a short on the battery or your circuit , if you have a short somewhere, it will quickly drain the battery current to the point that your diode will go very dim like you described. I dont know the polarity of the Torch case you are using, but my bet is a short somewhere.

Jase

Sometimes "stuff" comes with a cheap battery -- Just enough to get it going. How much current are you drawing off that cell ? How much voltage across the cell ? AND $12 for a CR123 ??? WOW...

Mike

Gazoo

Yup, it is a rip off. This is why it's best to order them online or from e-bay. But make sure you are getting a brand name battery, and also not a fake :)

Status
Not open for further replies.