Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Troubled Tales: The stories of broken lasers

Lee

The thing about lasers is that they are expensive.
When they get broken, it is a trajedy.

These are those stories... of despair, of sucess, and of funny accidents.

I'll start with mine...

In my opinion every Boy Scout needs a laser. I bought my first 5mW greenie a while back. Of course, when you have a laser, you mean to show it off. But take this advice: showing off does not involve letting OTHER people touch it. Here's why: the first person I let hold the laser, after a careful warning and threats of violent retribution if he dropped it, DROPS IT. I turn it on... nothing but a green flashlight that makes a pattern that isn't even interesting. The months that followed were agonizing. I only got less than half of the value of the laser back from the guy that DROPPED IT (and back then, for me $90 was an immense amount).

Some months later, I bought a replacement, exactly the same kind. VERY few people even see that warning sticker anymore (especially because of the cushiony cover I made).

So there I am, with two lithium powered lasers, one utterly broken.  What to do? Obviously, I took apart the useless laser and learned how it worked. After much research on the net about how these things work, I was able to completely disasemble what was left of my laser and put it back together. When I turned it back on, IT WORKED! Well, at about 1/5 of the original power. But there it was, a coherent dot!

I have fixed a laser.

HOW ABOUT YOU?

oh dudeee good job
i have a very dim atlasnova 5mW greenie
it was my first laser bought early last year for $70

well, I want to take it apart to see how it ticks
but I can't break open the top :mad:

mw1111

my bro bought a couple 5mW off ebay for us to screw around with, i had never seen a laser so bright in my life, but one day, mine refused to turn on. no little LED, nothing at all. needless to say, i was really angry, the laser hadnt even gone through one set of AA's!

kdubbz

me_too_lazy said:
oh dudeee good job
i have a very dim atlasnova 5mW greenie
it was my first laser bought early last year for $70

well, I want to take it apart to see how it ticks
but I can't break open the top :mad:

I have an atlas nova also, but like you I cant get the thing apart. I think arnold had them made with super expoxy stuff or somthing.

Benm

Obviously, I took apart the useless laser and learned how it worked. After much research on the net about how these things work, I was able to completely disasemble what was left of my laser and put it back together. When I turned it back on, IT WORKED! Well, at about 1/5 of the original power. But there it was, a coherent dot!

You must be lucky... those DPSS lasers are quite fragile and difficult to align in general. Perhaps you somehow managed to move the dislodged crystal assembly back in position for the pump diode.

Personally, i would be very tempted to mess with it again to find out if full power can be restored ;)

Lee

In fact I did break apart the crystal assembly from the infrared pump diode. It was very hard to glue it just right so that it was relatively worthwhile...

I do plan on trying it again to see if I can get it to full power.

Heres a broken laser story: I bought a Leadlight GLP-105 in may of 2006. I modified it within the day of receiving it and it worked flawlessley for over a year. Then one night while pointing it in the sky it stopped working. I took it apart and tried to figure out the problem and everytime it turned it on all that I had was a black laser. I was devasted after busting my first greenie (In reality second but that one died too fast) Then after a few more months I decided to try an idea. I ripped the driver board off of it and intead I put a capacitor on the diode leads and a 2 ohm resistor in series with it. I hooked it up to 3 volts and...it worked again! Now the once laser pointer will be turned into a 15mW labby, and my old friend isn't dead after all.

tale of the busted laser.
in january of this year, i bought a 3mw green laser w/focusable lens from laser glow. i had no problems with it until july when i turned it on and it came but only when i pushed very hard on the switch. even then, it only came on intermitently. the beam also did not come out strait like it did before. i think that my little brother had someting to do with it. :mad:i made him mad the day before and i think he might of got ahold of it. otherwise, it might of just craped out on me. i took it apart and now it lays in pieces. :-/i then bought a 5mw laser form laser glow and haven't had a problem with it other than the beam comming out slightly unstrait. now i have the x-65 and have not had a single problem with it. it just eats batteries :mad:

Attachments

• Picture_3147.jpg
    Picture_3147.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 657