Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tridentis 6.7W of Blue Beauty

NKO29

Just thinking about multi diode builds... Would making 2 or 3 direct press spots in the same host in a triangular array or side by side then only using a normal lens work? eg:
OO or OO
.O
I know that power loss might be an issue, but would you even need to do anything to combine the 3 separate photon sources except for focusing the lens?

Last edited:
Thanx Jim....It was a very fun build !!!

NK.....Yes one can arrange multiple LD's in a close pattern.....But....what provides apparent brightness....is Photon density /Cm2....meaning that... side by side beams will not be perceived as luminous/bright as will combined beams.

Also...there is a real mechanical challenge of multi-LD alignment. AND....IF the alignment issues are solved....what of heat transfer. A classic " Blivitz " There is a limit....with current optic/mechanical mounts...as to how many components can be supported in the HH format.

It is a reality that each LD is NOT in perfect alignment of the die to the LD case. These imperfections are very, very small....but over a very long distance....they are displayed !!!

SOooo....when combining multiple diodes....some method to "Steer " the beam must be used. You have two (2) choices...1) Steer the beam....or 2) Mechanically....have the abillity to manipulate the LD.....and once positioned....the abillity to lock it down.

Even with the use of complicated projector optics....there needs to be the option to re-adjust the optics. Any design that does not have that abillity....is flawed.

SOoooo...that means....forget the idea of alignment....then epoxy !!! Eventually...re-alignment will be necessary.

Bottom line...." No Free Lunch"....eerrr ....ahh....well..." No Easy Lunch"....that's for sure !!!

For your interest....see this link !!!
http://www.laser-man.co.uk/projects/107-arctos-multi-diode-array.html

CDBEAM=======>

For your entertainment....see pic ( Never built....just a WD ) !!!

Attachments

• Six Pac V 1.1 (2).png
    Six Pac V 1.1 (2).png
    361.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
mmm.... imagine that, but all pointed toward one center target. Imagine that power density--

NO...I have no video of the Tridentis....with ALL three (3) LD firing into an LPM, My Laserbee II will not handle that high of power....SOoooo....you ask...." How the hell do you know you have a PO of 6.7W ????"....mmmmmm ????

Well...one can (and I did) fire each LD...individually.....and add the results.....so...that comes up to 6.7 W....in total....9mm are well known to have an individual PO in the 2.2 ~ 2.5 W range....All the Tridendis does is combine them into a very, very tight farfield geometry.

As our PO increases.....so does our demand for higher power meters....It just never ends !!!!!

CDBEAM=======>

Last edited:

NKO29

Thanks man +rep for you! Yeah i knew that power loss and heat would be an issue, but you just explained it really well :)

I am not convinced. I would like to see a picture of the resulting spot at a longer range. To prove that the beams don't diverge. ;)

When you use the Flexmount from Laser Show Parts ( As is used with the Tridentis )....to steer the beams...beam control and beam stability are ..." In the bag " !!!....not a problem at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The beams in many, many projectors are controlled with Flexmount's. They work...and work well....and provide EXTREMELY fine adjustment / control over the beam direction !!! AND...are extremely stable. AGAIN....when we use existing technology....we get a " boost" from that technology.

As far as I have observed....the three beams remain tight in the farfield !! See this link… 20130712 230722 - YouTube

The Tridentis is a serious work...with serious attention to detail. MMMmmmm ??? I am “convinced “ that the Tridentis provides a serious solution to beam alignment in the Combiner class of Hand Held pointers….and delivers great beam alignment.

CDBEAM=======>

Last edited:
How about 300 ft.? Combiners work great for projectors but you just end up with an ever expanding 3 dot predator site if you try to make a beam. That according to my friend from MIT who works with lasers professionally and is also not convinced. :)