Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Trick of the eye

I really see this on the 405nm's, but also on the 455nm's as well. When looking at the beam (in light smoke, for instance, I see what appears to be black lines intersecting the beams. But my intuition and experience tells me the black lines are not real. I do NOT see them in 532nm beams, or any other beam. Plus, the beams somehow have certain characteristics which lead me to believe they are not real. I feel almost certain I am not the only one experiencing this. Does anyone else have any explanation for the black lines? It is interesting to note that the 455nm will also cause glow in the dark paint to glow in the dark (albeit not as much as Blu-Ray). Many thanks.

Can anyone build me a 500+mW 635nm pointer. Not impressed with the ones out there. I'm not naming names, but lets just say, the Canadian ones are a true disappointment. However, this company remains a top notch customer service, 2nd to none. The best when it comes to customer service. THE BEST. Thank you!

Umm, OK. I thought it was a floater. Fkcu wikid. They can rot in hail. Now, why, especially, the 405nm's?

Any 500mW 635nm portable is going to have a beam like the 'Canadian' one, simple fact about multi-mode diode lasers, they have horrible beams.

I believe it is plain stupid to look into a 455nm laser. And ESPECIALLY at the 500+mW + amplitude. Having said that, I believe Blu Ray is worse, (having all other amplitudes equal). The UVA will kill your optical nerves. Used at night time is a bit less hazardous, for a number of reasons. Boy, a 350 laser would really have potential to scar tissue, Wouldn't eve bother looking at that. The 405 at least is like a Black Light. Monochromic, but.

Any 500mW 635nm portable is going to have a beam like the 'Canadian' one, simple fact about multi-mode diode lasers, they have horrible beams.

I do not think it is necessary to have such a horribly focused beam. ESPECIALLY if the diode is not a c-mount. Even if it is c-mount, there are complex optics to take care of that. But a straight multimode is dealt with with the 455's, and there doesn't seem to be a problem there. Divergence is not the primary issue here. You need nested optics and you need to know how to deal with multimode 635nm. SIMPLE as that. Yes, it costs more. There is NO EXCUSE to have a 635nm emit a 1 foot square beam at 30 feet. That is just ridiculous!

The review I saw of a 'Canadian' 635 had a rather small beam, the owner said it was about the size of a postage stamp at 20 feet. And I know about optics, and the 445nm diodes are a good multimode, even WITH good optics you're going to have a fat beam, regardless of it being a C-Mount or not, if it was a C-Mount it could have an FAC at least.

The review I saw of a 'Canadian' 635 had a rather small beam, the owner said it was about the size of a postage stamp at 20 feet. And I know about optics, and the 445nm diodes are a good multimode, even WITH good optics you're going to have a fat beam, regardless of it being a C-Mount or not, if it was a C-Mount it could have an FAC at least.

I owned one, so I have first hand knowledge. The system utilized one lens. Really don't care to have any more he said she said with you.

Just pointing out that yours was probably a fluke and that I never said that it did have more than one lens or that you were lying.