Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Transistor Problem

I have a bc337 transistor that I think fail to saturate. The voltage-drop between collector and emitter is 2V in the circuit below. I calculated the resistor for it many months ago and it seemed to work at the time, but not now. The transistor gets very hot at 450mA!

337transistor-1.jpg

Anyone knows what's wrong? :confused:

Here is the specs:

collector-emitter voltage : 45V
collector current (DC): 500 mA
peak collector current: 1A
DC current gain IC = 100 mA: 100 - 250

Thanks for any help!

I think I figured it out, it is a high side circuit, so no resistor should be used. If I'm wrong you're free to slap me in the back of the head LOL!

I'm not sure here but in emitter load condition, (emitter follower), The emitter voltage is controlled by the load resistance. If you could saturate the base with no resistor, you would have a CE drop of ~0.7 volts but we don't know the curve I/R of the load.
Try dropping the input voltage a bit. Why saturate the transistor? Just use a diode as a .7 volt dropping device.

HMike

I'm using it in the RGV driver. I want the transistor to act like a switch.

What are you saying, Mike? I should replace the resistor with a rectifier diode?

So why can't you replace the transistor with a... switch?

Not the same, I'm in a hurry but I'll explain later, or shoot me a PM.

FML, have you tried lowering the resistor value (or using a 1/2W one?) I support HMike's idea too, any diode should drop 0,7v.

Because they can't be switched several hundred times per second.. and allot of other reasons.

I tested it with no base-resistor through the night and the transistor was just warm.