Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tough to choose

MarbeL

I'm looking to buy a green laser pointer. It seems that I should get a 125mW laser because I want to get all the burning capabilities. I'm looking for good quality and am willing to spend $200-$400 for one. The ones I've looked at so far include the 125mW bfg laser from bfglasers.com and the 125mW alpha series from novalasers.com. I'm also leaning toward the 100mW Pyro from destructivegear.com if it still has the burning capabilities as well. I was wondering if there are any other lasers I should consider? I would also like your opinions on which 125mW green laser you guys think I should get. Thanks :)

N00B

My choice would be either the BFG (which is actually rated at close to 140mw) or the Nova X series, they dont have either the 105, or 125's in stock, so i guess that leaves the BFG and DL?

S

SenKat

Well - if email communication is any indication of the level of service you could expect from DG, then I would advise against them. Nothing personal against them, of course, BUT - they had promised to send units out to be reviewed - they held a ocntest, the guy that won the contest for hte 100mw laser ? Well, it could not even light a match ! Now, if I were running a company and someone won a contest, I would make SURE that the prize I sent out was top of the line ! Anywho - Right now, I would recommend Wicked prior to recommending DG, personally. Check out Nova's prices, check out Dragon's prices, check out Laserglow, Optotronics, Atlas Nova, etc...

DG is destructivegear.com. But If I were you I would wait for the Nova X125 because it comes with a really nice case and membership goodies to go along with it, and Nova is known for sending out units with mkore power than you payed for. If you don't want to wait go with Dragon lasers as they have good prices and lasers too.

S

SenKat

Styro - looks like you are ready to order your 105 now, eh ? :)

MarbeL

Ok, so for a green 125mW laser I want for burning capabilities...

novalasers.com has a alpha series 125mW for $369 (but out of stock)
laserglow.com has aries series 100-124mW peaks at 140mW for $489
DragonLasers.com has a viper series 125mW for 329.99 however I'm not too impressed with the appearance of a pen.
optotronics.com has a model PPL-90 90-124mW that peaks at 140mW for $439
bfglasers.com has a 150mW for $280 (but people are posting some problems with these on the forums)
atlasnova.com has nothing of interest because it seems I can't see anything over 5mW's there.
wickedlasers.com has nothing of interest to me due to all the bad things you guys have been saying about them.

with these options I think I want either nova alpha series 125mW (in which case I can wait for them to come back in stock), or the bfglaser 150mw (But I need to see some good reviews about it first).

so, opinions between the bfg and the nova alpa series 125mW would be greatly apprectiated. thanks ;D

SenKat said:
Styro - looks like you are ready to order your 105 now, eh ? :)
Once I get paid! Should be in about a week or so, hope it gives Nova enough time to get the X105s back in stock!

MarbeL

I want to have power and visual, I want to be able to see the green beam in night and day.
Aseras posted a picture in these forums of his RPL under the thread "Some cool photos taken while testing 5 Watt Laser." I'd post it here but I can't cuz I'm not allowed to post links yet.

Does the nova x-series/alpha series 125mW, the bfg 150mW, or the PPL-125mW shine as bright as this RPL?

There is not a linear 1:1 relationship between mW of output and brightness.  A 10-20 mW difference may not be very noticeable at higher powers.  At low powers (5mW etc.) you will notice a big difference if you compare to a 20mW though.  

I guess the rough rule of thumb is that brightness doubles when you quadruple the power. Someone please confirm or discredit this - I'm not 100% sure here. 

MarbeL

So I should be able to get a near brightness to the RPL with a 125mw nova or 150mw bfg?

S

SenKat

Steve is correct - the brightness appears to double as you quadruple the power level.
You would notice the brightness difference between a BFG and a RPL....the RPL would not be TWICE as bright, but it would be noticably brighter.

Gazoo

Just to clear up something, I believe you are discussing the PPL. The RPL's start at $669.00. It is one awesome laser though from all the reviews I have read. But so is the PPL. If I was ordering a PPL, I would spend the extra $30.00 and go with the PPL 125. For the extra money, it ends up being a much better deal.

S

SenKat

Yes, we need Bootlegtogo in on this discussion ! JACK !!! ;D ;D

MarbeL said:
So I should be able to get a near brightness to the RPL with a 125mw nova or 150mw bfg?
That depends on the RPL model you're talking about.
If you're looking at the RPL-165 and another model of 150mW and they both are outputting their speced power level at an average rather than peak level, then the RPL would only be noticeable if they were compared side by side. Divergence of the RPL however, can't be beat. Many spec their lasers at low or lower divergence than the RPL, but we walk the talk and it will be low or lower than our spec.

btw, we just lowered our RPL/PPL prices a bit yesterday as well.

Jack

SenKat said:
Yes, we need Bootlegtogo in on this discussion ! JACK !!! ;D ;D
Hi Senkat,
Sorry I didn't email this weekend, the wife is still recovering and there was lots of work to catch up on, we'll talk more soon.

I'll need to find the formula again for visual brightness vs power; 2X power increase does not give 2X visual increase, but it is not as bad as 4X I do know that. If I remember, a 2X increase in power gives a 1.6X increase in brightness. I'll find the exact formula again and post it.

Jack