Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

tough decision

hey guys

shapeoko preorders started, for those that dont know, its a desk mini mill.
i am thinking about getting one, but its...an investment. 600 total is the kit i want.

so what do you think? should i go for it?

I went for it. Im now out $621.35. But I hope it'll be for a useful cause. So if anyone needs some machined parts, I might be able to do some in a couple months. (If they sell 23 more)

Hmm... I would have made it my self... You can make that for about half the price if you have the tools and know-how. That's including all electronics (apart from the router).

But if you're not good with ur hands, this is an already designed project that might be good for you. As far as designs go though... that belt drive system looks like its gonna give u problems...

-Adrian

I haven't heard much about belt problems, I bet an upgrade will be needed if I replace the stepper motors with something with more torque. I'm going to give it a try on some soft aluminum, my dremel with a sharp bit can cut thought it pretty easily so I'm sure it'll work out.

You can see here...

500px-ShapeOko_partially_assembled.jpg

How it uses a "rack and pinion" style belt drive. That means it going to be using belt tensioners and non moving end mounts. This puts a lot of stress into the system that isn't present in a typical belt drive system. This means, loss of steps, inaccuracy at the limits of the axis' and a fair bit of maintenance is needed to keep belts tension over time.

It looks like they are all about the small form factor, rather than accuracy, design and end user maintenance routines.

Just my $0.02
-Adrian

Would you suggest a worm gear system? I do see how that will be a problem with tooth skipping, unless there is a counter spacer to keep the belt up tight against stepper gear.

Also another thing I just noticed... the drive system is only on one side... that means its gonna skew when you try to cut something harder then like foam or plastics. It won't be able to do any aluminum unfortunately.

Last edited:

Encap

hey guys

shapeoko preorders started, for those that dont know, its a desk mini mill.
i am thinking about getting one, but its...an investment. 600 total is the kit i want.

so what do you think? should i go for it?

Depends upon what you want to do with it---looks like OK for lettering and very light cutting of thin and soft foam or plastics like stencil making.

Things

Yeah, IMO belts are basically useless for CNC mill type work. Seeing as the bit is actually forced sideways into the material to cut, there is a lot of force the belt had to put on the system. Driving it on 1 side is just bodgy too, just asking for issues. Even my laser cutter is driven on both sides and the mass is far less.

Probably be OK really slowly for wood and plastic, but no way it'll be capable of metal except maybe scratching the surface.

Last edited:
Well shit....ill see what I can do with it to upgrade it. Maybe some type of solid screw gear system...