Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Torturing a 35mW 685nm diode.

Ok, after killing two of these, I finally got spectrometer data so I can post the info for these diodes.

Like the 635's I just did.. I don't really have the time or facilities to generate IPV graphs for these, so i'm just concentrating on the maximums..

The setup is identical to the 20mW 635nm tests.. so i'm recycling that picture. :p

IMG_0241.JPG

I didn't take pics of the LPM tests.. You'll just have to take my word on them, however they were done identically to the 635nm diode tests.

Ok to start things off.. These are the diodes in question. They're still available on ebay.

Red Laser Diode 685nm 35mW with len FLD6A2TK (lot of 3) | eBay

They are 685nm diodes rated at 35mW CW.

I will say, these diodes can't be pushed a whole lot. I do not recommend driving them at more than 65mA. They WILL LED at between 70 and 75mA.. With one of my AR coated acrylic lenses, it happens right at 50mW and it's repeatable. With the same lens, the diode will put out around 45mW at 65mA, which is as far as I suggest pushing these.

Spectrometer results were 687.5nm at threshold, and right at 690nm running at 45mW.

685threshold.jpg

685.jpg

Cyparagon mentioned his tested right around 685nm, but both of the ones I've tried on my spectrometer were near or at 690nm when running at or over spec. Could just be the result of a different manufacturing batch though.

And in regards to my spectrometer's calibration, Here it is with a 'very' cheap non-filtered green. The 808 line read 807.3, but there's really no evidence to show that isn't what it actually is.

532.jpg

And my 30mW 473nm.

473.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome>:beer:

Yea I found also the LED at ~50mW. I dont push them past 45mW to.

Great to have real data.:)

+:beer:

Yeah, the pumps are all over the place. I've had a few as low as 804 or as high as 820.

mfo

I was thinking about buying these diodes off of eBay. I remember reading somewhere that we need to use the included lenses for these lasers right? If so, can they be mounted inside of an aixiz lens?

^ The included lenses are to small for an Aixiz Lens Nut. Also the are not worth the trouble.

The best lenses to use are the AR coated Acrylic Lens. They give the most power.:)

I have one doing 44mW and another one doing 47mW.:)

They are cool Little diodes.

mfo

^ The included lenses are to small for an Aixiz Lens Nut. Also the are not worth the trouble.

The best lenses to use are the AR coated Acrylic Lens. They give the most power.:)

I have one doing 44mW and another one doing 47mW.:)

They are cool Little diodes.

You mean the AR glass? :p

The AR glass lenses give a nice dot? I'm guessing the beam is super hard to see right?

No. Single element red AR coated acrylics. I carry them or you can get them off ebay etc. They're the 2nd best solution since they perform better than the 3 element glass for reds aixiz has. The absolute best would be the 650-g-1 though. It all depends on how much you want to spend and if you want to get every last mW out of them. You just have to be the judge yourself if the cost is worth the additional 5mW or so you'd be able to squeeze out of these with a 650-g-1

Last edited:

mfo

No. Single element red AR coated acrylics. I carry them or you can get them off ebay etc. They're the 2nd best solution since they perform better than the 3 element glass for reds aixiz has. The absolute best would be the 650-g-1 though. It all depends on how much you want to spend and if you want to get every last mW out of them.

No the AR coated Acrylic Lens the qumefox Sells.:)

You can get it here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/qumefoxs-sale-thread-hosts-lenses-etc-62271.html

Well, a 650-G-1 would be too much for a low powered build like this. When you say that the acrylic lens out performs the red glass lens aixiz offers, do you mean specifically for this diode or all reds in general?

THe beam is visible quit a bit with Fog.

Ill shot some video tonight for you.:)

Awesome. If you can do a shot without fog and with please for comparison :) Thanks

You got it buddy.:) Ill shot video with and without and Picture with and without.:D

OK mfo i took some Picture for you and some videos.:)

Iam going to put the videos as Links so its easier to watch in full screen and doesn't take the page up.:) If you can Watch In HD it will be much better and more detail.:wave:

Here are the Pictures:

No Fog a 44mW & 47mW 685nm.
682_3581.jpg

With Fog 44mW & 47mW 685nm.
682_3586.jpg

No Fog Video:
YouTube - ‪2 685nm lasers at 44mW and 47mW Beams with No Fog. "Video for mfo"‬‏

Long beam Shot with Fog:
YouTube - ‪47mW 685nm Long beam shot with Fog‬‏

Lights On With Fog:
YouTube - ‪2 44mW+ 685nm laser beams Lights ON with Fog‬‏

The Ones with No Fog was very hard to take Pictures. The beams are a tad bit brighter in Person then is shown in the No Fog Picture. But the video with no fog shows it good and Just about the same in person.:)

The Ones with Fog are Pretty close to how bright it is in person.

Hope this Helps Buddy.:beer:

Last edited: