Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Torn between Dorcy Jr build and a Pocket Mini..

Building a PHR803T 405nm laser pointer.

This will be my first build and I am torn between sk8er4514's Dorcy jr. tutorial and jayrob's "Pocket Mini" kit.

I am looking for power (who isn't?), I would enjoy being able to do some star pointing with it as well. I like the size of the pocket mini, but I am curious what the output difference is going to be if I decide to go with something like the pocket mini opposed to something else? can I get a significant amount of more power out of something besides the pocket mini using the same diode?

Also I noticed that in sk8er4514's tutorial he mentions to only use the acrylic lens which bummed me out because the glass lens upgrade sounds so attractive.

Thanks ahead of time for reading all this :)

Re: Torn between Dorcy Jr build and a Pocket Mini.

If you are using the same diode in each kit, then there wont be any difference in power.  Keep in mind that you are the person who sets the power to the diode.  It doesn't matter which host you use. ;)

I prefer the pocket mini over the Dorcy Jr build, but the Dorcy Jr build is easier to make.  The pocket mini just looks great when it's done. ;)

Don't use the Azix? glass lenses when using a 405nm diode.  It will lower the output of the laser and also decrease the diodes life.  If you really want a Glass lenses, I recomend Jayrob's special 405nm lenses mod.  It may cost $60, but it's worth every penny!

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1237515270

jayrob

Thanks iskor12! :)

stevodotorg, I just want to second everything he just wrote.

And to add that the Dorcy Jr is a nice host too...
Jay

Switch

Well the Pocket Mini is more compact but it's harder to build and it may cost you more to build it.
The reason not to use the aixiz glass lens is simply because it is AR coated for red which really blocks a lot of the violet.The acrylic lens is not coated at all so it's better but still not the best.The 405-G-1 would be way better but it's pretty expensive and the power gain isn't worth it with a PHR.If you were building a 6x and wanted to squeeze every mW you could , now that would be another story. :p

jayrob

Agreed...

The AixiZ glass lenses are also a 3 element design, which also takes away from the power. They will give about 5% more with red vs AixiZ acrylic. But less for blu-ray.

As far as the 405-G-1 glass lens modification, you can figure at least 26% increase vs AixiZ acrylic for blu-ray.

So with a normal PHR at 115mW's, you would see about 145mW's with the lens mod.

With a 6X or higher, you will want the glass lens for sure. Because at over 200mW's, the acrylic lens will degrade. You need glass. But the increase is more dramatic as well. If you already have 220mW's, you will increase to about 277mW's! :eek:
Jay

jayrob said:
Agreed...

The AixiZ glass lenses are also a 3 element design, which also takes away from the power. They will give about 5% more with red vs AixiZ acrylic. But less for blu-ray.

As far as the 405-G-1 glass lens modification, you can figure at least 26% increase vs AixiZ acrylic for blu-ray.

With a 6X or higher, you will want the glass lens for sure. Because at over 200mW's, the acrylic lens will degrade. You need glass. But the increase is more dramatic as well. If you already have 220mW's, you will increase to about 277mW's! :eek:
Jay

6x diodes must be harvested at this point and expect to pay close to $100 for a burner right? (I work at a computer store and I can only imagine what all the other employees would say when I tell them I'm taking apart the blu-ray burner I just bought) ;D

But as nice as 6x seems, the mod can be done later when prices come down on the diodes, I think for now a PHR803T would be great, and the glass lens mod seems worth it as well. Here is how I figure it, if you are going to spend the money but you are still on a budget, might as well go all out for that "tier" of laser you are building upon (in this case the PHR803T)..

In terms of building, it shouldn't really be a problem. And I must say, I am really impressed by the looks of the Pocket Mini build myself, looks very solid for such a little thing.

Also, I might as well ask while I'm here, the reasoning for the PHR803T diodes price drop coming so low, is this due to the failure of HDDVD?

Anyway, thanks again everyone for all your input and for future input I seek  ::)

and Also, am I getting this right, is the glass mod that we are told not to do in the Dorcy Jr tutorial different from the 405-G-1 glass mod?

so we could do the 405-G-1 mod on the Jorcy Jr?

jayrob

There are certain glass lenses not recommended for blu-ray. Such as AixiZ glass...

But the 405-G-1 glass lens mod is made for blu-ray and is the best. This modification will fit in any host, as long as it uses an AixiZ or Sure module. Shown here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1237515270

The other thing to consider, is that even if you diode does not last, the lens will never go bad. So once you have the lens, it can be used for any blu-ray build with an AixiZ module. :)
Jay

jayrob said:
There are certain glass lenses not recommended for blu-ray. Such as AixiZ glass...

But the 405-G-1 glass lens mod is made for blu-ray and is the best. This modification will fit in any host, as long as it uses an AixiZ or Sure module. Shown here:

The other thing to consider, is that even if you diode does not last, the lens will never go bad. So once you have the lens, it can be used for any blu-ray build with an AixiZ module. :)
Jay

That last part is exactly what I was thinking! Something to also use as diodes get newer, better, stronger and cheaper in the future :)

stevodotorg said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1239000728/0#4 date=1239032532]Agreed...

Jay

6x diodes must be harvested at this point and expect to pay close to $100 for a burner right? (I work at a computer store and I can only imagine what all the other employees would say when I tell them I'm taking apart the blu-ray burner I just bought) ;D

But as nice as 6x seems, the mod can be done later when prices come down on the diodes, I think for now a PHR803T would be great, and the glass lens mod seems worth it as well. Here is how I figure it, if you are going to spend the money but you are still on a budget, might as well go all out for that "tier" of laser you are building upon (in this case the PHR803T)..

In terms of building, it shouldn't really be a problem. And I must say, I am really impressed by the looks of the Pocket Mini build myself, looks very solid for such a little thing.

Also, I might as well ask while I'm here, the reasoning for the PHR803T diodes price drop coming so low, is this due to the failure of HDDVD?

Anyway, thanks again everyone for all your input and for future input I seek  ::)[/quote]

You could just buy this diode.  It's pretty close to a 6x. No harvesting needed. :)
http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=914