Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tiny Pots?

jayrob

Yes, I order from DigiKey all the time...

Super fast shipping, but we are both in the U.S.

The only thing bad, is that you have to pay a $5 dollar handling fee for small orders.
Jay

I was thinking of making a tiny spiro build, with these motors:
Those are the motors I use, they are nice and quiet

And the only pots that I can find are rather large. Like this large:
Where can I find smaller potentiometers?
I will try and find a link to the smallest ones I have found

Also, I have some general Spirograph questions:
What is a good value for a pot using those pager motors above?
100 ohm is what I always use
Lastly, do the mirrors need to be slightly wonky to make the most complicated patterns?
very slightly crooked, in fact if you try to get them straight you will be about right.

Regards rog8811

[edit]This is the one I use for small, it is a preset but you can make s small plastic knob and stick it in the screwdriver hole, which goes right through
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-100R-Vertic...sidZp1742.m153.l1262?_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262[/edit]

jayrob said:
Yes, I order from DigiKey all the time...

Super fast shipping, but we are both in the U.S.

The only thing bad, is that you have to pay a $5 dollar handling fee for small orders.
Jay

Actually I'm in the UK, and shipping is like $20. Next time you order, could you let me know, add a few of those in, and ship them to me when you get them?

I'd be happy to pay a bit for the privelige, plus of course the cost of the shipping + the actual pots

Rob

Edit:
And also, how do you get these amazing patterns:
dscn6321.jpg

I have a 3 mirror spiro, and it can't do that. Is is the pots, the motors, or the mounting angle?

They look good - thanks Jay. I'm going away very soon for a few days, so can I take you up on your offer next time you order please?

jayrob

No problem, just let me know how many you want of each and I will get a total. Then I can order after you send PayPal...
Jay

Morgan

Hi robjdixon,

Not to interupt any deal with Jayrob but I'm in the UK and I've used these trimmer pots from Rapid Electronics and they're pretty tiny.

http://www.rapidonline.com/producti...ters&moduleno=61913&catref=68-0826&kw=68-0826

Don't think the postage is too much but I'd get a few more bits at the same time to cover the costs. Rapid also do the LM317T and all the bits to build the DDL driver.

I scavenged my motors from old mobile phones. Just be careful removing the weight so as not to bend the spindle or move the grommet that prevents the spindle sliding in and out. Only one in each but if you've got a few lying around or your mates have... (Don't forget they often have 3.6V protected batteries too! And you already have the charger!) Having said all that, 2 bucks for a micro-motor? Save the hassle and buy some! ;D

Rog is quite correct about the mirrors. (Where did you get your mirrors Rog?) Trying to put them on straight is the best way to get them crooked! I used Milliput resin to mount mine as you can balance them afterwards but I didn't find this to be a big problem.

Happy building.

M :)

Where did you get your mirrors Rog?
I bought an acylic mirror tile for about £3 from ebay a couple of years ago.... still got plenty left :)

Regards rog8811
[edit]Tiny pot (10mm x 10mm x 3.5mm) with knob[/edit]

Attachments

• Pot01.jpg
    Pot01.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 129
DP to show it assembled.....

Attachments

• pot_in01.jpg
    pot_in01.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 125
Lastly, where can I get the switches that reverse a motor, and do they increase the number of patterns a lot? Is it worthwile?

If you want to increase the number of patterns add another motor/mirror.. :cool:

Jerry

I have one with 3 mirrors, but it doesn't have as many patterns as all of the 2 mirror ones on here

Another thing that gives more varied patterns is a large adjustable speed range per motor...

Jerry