Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thumbnails vs pics

Pman

I don't know if it's just me or not but I've noticed a lot of members use thumbnails when posting pics and I'm curious as to the reason. It's mainly because when I use a mobile device and click on them if I try to enlarge it it drops out.
I do realize there must be some members who have slower Internet so forgive me if you think I'm being insensitive to you in particular. The pics work fine if I'm on my main computer but I bet most of the time most of us are on our smartphones.
Why not use a program like imageshack that will automatically resize to 800x600 if pics are going to be posted so they are easier to see and can be zoomed with a phone?
I'm not looking for trouble. Just trying to understand why so many are choosing to use thumbnails rather than post an 800x600 pic.
The only reason why I mentioned imageshack is because that is what I use. I still don't know how to post a video so laugh at me if you want.

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I don't know if it's just me or not but I've noticed a lot of members use thumbnails when posting pics and I'm curious as to the reason. It's mainly because when I use a mobile device and click on them if I try to enlarge it it drops out.

I've noticed the same thing with both my phone, and tablet; you'll definitely want to have the thumbnail image centered on your screen before you click on it. If you try to move it, or enlarge it, it's gone.

Funny that you mentioned videos, I've never posted one either.

Last edited:

Vision

I've been on many forums and not many include this option but on some, whenever someone posts a picture, the forum automatically resizes it for the forum's layout as to not exceed it(in case of larger pictures), then if you want to look at the full size image, it usually says on the image

"This image has been resized to fit in the page. click to enlarge"

I think it would be a good idea to implement that here.

Pman

I find it very annoying for the reasons I stated just as Bow added too. It's a pain to deal with when I don't see why it has to be that way.

I've had problems with resizing my photos, but never heard of imageshack. I'll try it. Thanks, Pman.

Pman

I think Bow uses something different than I do that works.

BowtieGuy, what do you use to resize photos to fit the 800X600 parameters of this site?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey paul, I use Photobucket. There are many good sites out there, this has worked fairly well for me, although it can be slow at times.
Editing photo size to what ever you want is very easy with Photobucket; many other aspects can be fine tuned also, so that the finished product almost makes it look like you know what you're doing. :D

Last edited:
I upload to photobucket and it is always a PITA, the site is busy or the addware is, but it's slow and hangs up, I manage anyway but should switch to tinypic or one of the many others, anyone know of a good one?

Am I the only one who uses Tinypic?

It allows you to resize it to a different resolution, very useful for posting to the forum.

You can also upload multiple images at once, as well as change to a different resolution for each one.

When people choose to do something one way instead of another, it's invariably for some form of their own convenience. Personally I don't mind pictures of most sizes, even when on tablets.

Lots of options for hosting, as of late I prefer imgur, but mostly due to simplicity.

Have brought up auto re-sizing a few times. Apparently to make it work on the forum requires a plugin, which is not an option as per c0ldshadow. If it were possible, it would be a good solution as image size is an issue that keeps coming back.

Yes! thanks everyone. I have used Photobucket, but it is a pain at times. I will try each of these to see which works best for my purposes.