Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thread size / parts visual reference.

Identifying thread sizes is a real problem for the laser hobby because most of our lasers use metric threads with obscure, extra-fine threads and hard-to-find compatible parts.

The idea here is that I will post pictures of common, inexpensive laser and flashlight parts whose thread size is known. An unknown thread can be compared to what is known, which will either identify the thread, or at least allow you to rule out what it isn't. You could just buy a set of metric thread gauges, that is true but IHMO it's good to see what different thread sizes actually look like when in use. Such a gauge set is also an extra expense; parts already on hand aren't.

Some hosts that would be very good to have all thread sizes known: The Laser 301 and the C6, various Maglites. Hosts that are common, inexpensive, or both. Anything that is familiar to most people. More examples of known threads will make it more likely that you can put a number to an unknown thread that you need to fit. Trouble can be saved - if you can identify the thread yourself, you don't need to mail it to the machinist to have it done. If you need a custom part, being able to put the right numbers on your schematic simplifies the process all around.

I don't have nearly as much as I'd like. I just bought a pitch gauge on ebay, from China, so when it gets here I'll be able to measure everything I have.

Anyone can send me pictures of thread examples whose size is known (that I don't have) and I will post those in this thread. Please make sure to add your username to the photo if you do. I want to make sure everyone gets the proper credit. Anyone who contributes information of any kind will be properly credited in the relevant section.

Things I'd like to add to this at some point: Breakdown of common hosts (Survival Lasers everything, Laser 301/303/etc, Maglites, PGL's, Skylaser hosts, etc.) with threads identified. Thread pitch comparison, e.g. 0.5, 0.7, 1.0 side by side might be useful if you have the right diameter but the wrong pitch.

The photos are 200x200 for each part shown, up to 800 wide for the whole image. Just FYI.

If any of the info is wrong please let me know and I will fix it. Some of these are based on educated guesswork; I'll note that if so. This is an ongoing project so I will be adding to it when I get new information.

M9x0.5mm
The de facto standard for threaded lens assemblies. From left to right: M9x0.5 brass lens barrel; AixiZ acrylic lens; AixiZ module; AixiZ focus adjusting ring.

M9x05parts800x200_zps085ed785.jpg

M11x0.5mm
The front and back parts of the AixiZ module use this thread. 532nm DPSS modules use it a fair amount (the Fasttech type with the driver attached). From left to right: AixiZ module front; AixiZ module back.

M11x05parts400x200_zps7d989179.jpg

M12x0.5mm
Chinese lasers often include "star cap" diffraction things. The ones shown fit the Laser 303 and apparently use an M12x0.5 thread. Educated guess - it is only just too big to fit the M11, but they are both 0.5 thread pitch, so figure M12x0.5.

M12x05parts400x200_zpsdd8290e1.jpg

Last edited:

These are nice photos. I wish links to these informative posts were kept in an updated database. Some of the stickies are extremely hard to find anything useful inside.