Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thoughts on bay 405 5mw (pot mod to 100mw)

Hi guys, I have just ordered a couple of the $10 blue pointers which many say come in at around 30+mw but came across another which is listed at 5mw with all the info and a video on doing a pot mod which will bring it to 100mw. for $60 + shipping. I am tempted by it / to buy it but thought I would see what the masses think and if anyone has one of these and what they think?

Link

cheers,
Tony.

Which is exactly why I knew asking here was a good idea, the one in the link is only rated 70 - 80 though or does this one have an option to pot mod etc?

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 8382

option to pot mod? most of the lasers can be pot moded. It's like asking if a car can be turned to use N2O. yes, but don't expect to last it any long (if it gets to survive...)

Pot modding any laser will cause it to die very quickly, not to mention that a lot of these pointers are put together in such a way that you'll most likely have to destroy it to some extent to get to the pot. My recommendation is to just buy a pointer that has a higher output. If you insist on trying to pot mod a laser, buy a few of the $10 ebay ones.

daguin

One more point since you posted this in the "other" colors section.

405nm is NOT BLUE It is VIOLET. It is no big deal if you realize it, but if you were actually looking for a blue laser, you would be very disappointed.

Peace,
dave

Thanks All, yes my typo, I know 405 is not a blue, just a mistake from speaking of bluray diodes etc etc. I dont really want to pot mod anything, have been there and done that with all the greenies and have just ordered 2 of the $10 405nm (5-35mw) pens to play with. I was curious from the link posted as it said i could buy a 100mw for the same price but I can see from the other items on that site that it is not much more for a 100mw or more but I think now I am going to build my own. looking at a 405nm from a 6x diode, flexdrive, glass lens etc so you may well see me asking all the noob questions in the help section soon enough.

I did pm and email igorT without reply but I think I will have more fun putting it together myself. And then one day I have to have a go at the 7 colour white build !!! just gotta have one of those. (or 2 ??)

Thanks all for your help.

I will be back soon.