Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thinking about getting a labby

Im kinda a beginner to lasers, but since Australia have banned handheld pointers Ive been looking at labbys.

I was looking at Aixiz's 50mW labby, wondering if its not too much for a person like me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50mw-tunable-53...QcategoryZ53141QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment

Question: Would this be able to be plugged into an Australian wall socket w/ a standard adapter?
Also, would I need to do any soldering/fiddling to get this bad boy running?

I'm fairly sure those things don't come with power cables. You'd have to attach your own. So I'd count that as 'fiddling'.

If you can get that working, they should work fine in an Australian Socket. Everything I've ever bought which has needed an adapter has worked fine :)

Labbies are definitely the way to go for us Australians :) I've got all the handhelds I'll ever need anyway, time for laser modules! I've just purchased a 100mW labby, and next I want a 1 Watt green labby [smiley=evil.gif]

Doesnt come with power cables? Damn. Didnt think it would be as easy as that.

Yeah. Well, what you got there is a very basic setup.

If you go to the company and buy direct, you can get a plug set up for you. Maybe you can even ask for an Australian plug :)

diachi

Murudai, did you buy that 100mW labby from that new star laser company ?

Murudai said:
Yeah. Well, what you got there is a very basic setup.

If you go to the company and buy direct, you can get a plug set up for you. Maybe you can even ask for an Australian plug :)

Well this is Aixiz's ebay store, so is that considered direct? or doesnt Aixiz make these?

I looked at their online store (non-ebay, their website store), and i didnt see it there.

diachi

Those green modules were apparently a special order that got cancelled, so they are selling them off on ebay.

Diachi said:
Murudai, did you buy that 100mW labby from that new star laser company ?

That's the one. I'm doing a review for it :) So far the company have been good to deal with :)

As for Aixiz store. You're buying from aixiz's eBay store, but as Diachi said these were already made to order but that order got canceled, so they are just selling as is. So you are buying from aixiz but you are buying 'used' I guess, since they were made to someones elses spec, not yours.

Where as buying direct would be going straight to the company and ordering the product to your own spec.

those aixiz labbies need the driverboard cooled for them to work reliably. I installed a 1.13" fan on the heatsink and its working excellent now. Without the fan, it ran unstable and was a total pain.