Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Think Lasers

Perhaps I'm confusing it with something else, but isn't thinklasers the place that took in a lot of money around this time last year and then disappeared without delivering more than a few of the orders?

Ouch. I'm not sure. Was doing a search on Google and came across that site.

It just seemed Iffy to me. Wanted some input

N00B

Whoa, what the hell? They are selling Spyder 2's? Someone explain!

S

SenKat

I sent them an email requesting information about them, and their company in order to prove/disprove the rumors about them ! We'll see how they reply :cool:

Hi Everyone,

just wanted to take this chance to introduce myself and thinklasers.com to everyone out there, thanks SenKat for the email (i had noticed myself actually as well). We love lasers, we know lasers, we build lasers, there isn't a whole lot more that I can say. My passion for pointers started probably like most of you, getting that first red keychain to pretent I had a laser gun sight, or attach it to my tippman. But that was years ago and as everyone here is well aware, lasers can get pretty crazy these days.

we've been traveling the world and have offices in new york and shanghai, our main focus was on laser display systems for nightclubs and small auditoriums, but pointers are just so much more fun. We do our best to offer the widest variety possible, as many colors, outputs, and price ranges as our staff can handle, from spyders to dpss. We've had satisfied customers from all over the world, so i'm not too sure where the negative conontation has come from but what can you do.

If anyone has had a bad experience please let me know. The site has been updated (about 95% complete) and so has our product line, hope to hear from all of you.

Colin
info@thinklasers.com

S

SenKat

Glad you made it, Colin ! :cool:

So - everyone take a peek at what they have to offer ! :)

nice products, but much of it is at the same or higher price than can be found elsewhere.

stevetexas said:
nice products, but much of it is at the same or higher price than can be found elsewhere.

Yep, on a quick browse it looked like everything was taken right off the CNI site in terms of the products they sell, except for the Spyders of course. I daresay we already have a few CNI resellers too many, but I can't complain if a new one ups the bar while lowering the price.

Gerald

I have no idea if the Spyders are from Wicked Lasers, or are they Spyder look-alikes.

One more thing is, why are the Spyder's having different specifications and are being banded?
Is there any way I can modify my spyders, without taking it apart (like just poking in a screwdriver or something)?

I heard of someone saying that you can use a flat small screwdriver to adjust the variable resistor/potentiometer in the II GX but I didn't have the guts to do that.
Could anyone, esp pseudo, enlighten me on that one please?

Gerald

Not sure if you'd want to turn the pot unless you're willing to lose one of your Spyders for good. Looking in through the back though, I see two pots. Not sure which is for what - perhaps one for the TEC and one for the diode? If you want to play around with that, with enough force you can get the case to unscrew at the different segments so you can play with the driverboard easier, but I know if it were me, I wouldn't risk it.

Normally messing with the pot on a high power laser is high risk, low reward. Upping the pot can up the output power of the diode (thus decreasing its life... sometimes to <1 second), but when you have crystals already working close to or at saturation, it doesn't do you any good.

IMO, keep pot modding to leadlights or other lasers built with the components of a better laser. I wouldn't count on any class IIIB green laser to fall into that category.

pseudonomen137 said:
Not sure if you'd want to turn the pot unless you're willing to lose one of your Spyders for good.

I'd have to agree with pseudonomen137 on this one. There is always going to be the question about modding your pointer, but for a spyder II, its not worth the risk. The output is already so high and they've been tested and tested, the design isn't flawless, but then again what is. One slip or mistake with an exposed diode can lead to poor collimation or even loss of output.

I'd stick to modding the cheaper variety, and its much easier.

Gerald

Ok then I was thinking if I could "fix" the underspec Spyders instead of having to send it back to China I could save some money.
Looks like the person who told me about the modifying was a bullshietter!

Thanks for the reply!

Justin

Pseudo, you are correct that this incarnation of Thinklasers is not a new business, these are the same people who showed up about this time last year, and while it may not be PC for me to reiterate the details here perhaps you can share the story as I know you have been in this community for a while and are well-respected.

Laserglow also had some interaction with Thinklasers when they first appeared a year ago. Shortly after coming on to the scene as a Wicked/CNI reseller, Thinklasers started using the domain "www.thelaserglow.com" and answering the phone as "Laserglow". If you search for cached copies of "www.thelaserglow.com" on Wayback machine or something similar you can still find copies of their site which was almost an exact cut-and-paste of our site at the time. The cached copy of their page on Wayback shows their advertisment for the "Hercules II" ("Hercules" is our exclusive product and always has been. There is no Hercules II.) and if you do a Google search for "thelaserglow" you can see that it still references to thinklasers. This is a serious violation of our trademark and when we threatened legal action only the title of the webpage was changed to read "thinklasers", even though the content was still a clone of our page. A little while after this they closed up shop and seemed to disappear, and hopefully Pseudo or another "senior" member of this forum will remember the rest of the story.

It is not my intention for this to become a "The Truth About Thinklasers" thread but something needed to be said. I think that in my time representing Laserglow on this forum I have demonstrated that it is not our way to disparage or vilify our competitors, because competition is good for any industry. Laserglow, Nova, Optotronics, Lucent, DL and a lot of other companies are represented here by their various agents and we have all managed to get along amicably and even learn something from one another. There are a LOT of laser companies out there who have managed to competitively co-exist (while carrying much of the same product) without stepping on each other's legal trademarks or using questionable business tactics to confuse and mislead the customer into believing that they are doing business with somebody they are not. This, to me, represents a very concerning business ethic and people should be made aware of WHO they are doing business with.

If anybody would like clarification of anything that I have said here, you can always reach me via email, phone or PM. Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post!

T

timelord

Justin said:
Pseudo, you are correct that this incarnation of Thinklasers is not a new business, these are the same people who showed up about this time last year, and while it may not be PC for me to reiterate the details here perhaps you can share the story as I know you have been in this community for a while and are well-respected.

Laserglow also had some interaction with Thinklasers when they first appeared a year ago. Shortly after coming on to the scene as a Wicked/CNI reseller, Thinklasers started using the domain "www.thelaserglow.com" and answering the phone as "Laserglow". If you search for cached copies of "www.thelaserglow.com" on Wayback machine or something similar you can still find copies of their site which was almost an exact cut-and-paste of our site at the time. The cached copy of their page on Wayback shows their advertisment for the "Hercules II" ("Hercules" is our exclusive product and always has been. There is no Hercules II.) and if you do a Google search for "thelaserglow" you can see that it still references to thinklasers. This is a serious violation of our trademark and when we threatened legal action only the title of the webpage was changed to read "thinklasers", even though the content was still a clone of our page. A little while after this they closed up shop and seemed to disappear, and hopefully Pseudo or another "senior" member of this forum will remember the rest of the story.

It is not my intention for this to become a "The Truth About Thinklasers" thread but something needed to be said. I think that in my time representing Laserglow on this forum I have demonstrated that it is not our way to disparage or vilify our competitors, because competition is good for any industry. Laserglow, Nova, Optotronics, Lucent, DL and a lot of other companies are represented here by their various agents and we have all managed to get along amicably and even learn something from one another. There are a LOT of laser companies out there who have managed to competitively co-exist (while carrying much of the same product) without stepping on each other's legal trademarks or using questionable business tactics to confuse and mislead the customer into believing that they are doing business with somebody they are not. This, to me, represents a very concerning business ethic and people should be made aware of WHO they are doing business with.

If anybody would like clarification of anything that I have said here, you can always reach me via email, phone or PM. Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post!

Thanks Justin you have confirmed my suspicions about this about this company ;)