Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thick laser beams?

Soo...

death star...

um

Has anyone ever taken like, 1000 high powered laser pointers, bundled them together, and turned them all on at once?

Any pictures of "thick" laser beams and stuff? :p (linear+thick; not something that drastically gets wider the farther away from the diode)

Here's a little something a member here cooked up: (sorry about the huge pic)

Image000141.jpg

You can read more about it here:

http://www.laser-man.co.uk/2006/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=107&Itemid=74

Last edited:
It's a common practice really when building projectors using diode lasers.

search 'knife-edge'

Though you'll probably be disappointed, since I imagine your after 'burning' and most people who build knife edge rigs... aren't..

JLSE

A thick beam can also be achieved with a larger lens.

The bigger the lens, the fatter the beam :beer:

A thick beam can also be achieved with a larger lens.

The bigger the lens, the fatter the beam :beer:

Um.. no. You'll need multiple lenses to make a decent beam expander. Sure you can take any convex lens and focus light to a point to burn crap, but for anything else, you generally need the correct shaped lenses for the application.

JLSE

Um.. no. You'll need multiple lenses to make a decent beam expander. Sure you can take any convex lens and focus light to a point to burn crap, but for anything else, you generally need the correct shaped lenses for the application.

I was referring to the raw output of an LD...

I have pics somewhere.. Did it with a red.

Not an expander, just a large diameter collimator..

Ah. Makes me wonder if all those optics i've been pulling out of big screens we scrap are worth anything heh.

I also have a bunch of front surface mirrors I need to cut up too now that I think about it.

how could anyone apologize for that pic? it's awesome.
30 lasers plus optics in about 1.5 sq. ft.

I 'll take 2 please:D

Rafa

89468988.png

Can't we achieve something like this? I mean, "taking" the beam before its too diverged inside the aixiz and using a different lens focus it to the infinite with a thinner beam.

HIMNL9

This is how normally is done (lenses with very short FL for obtain thin beams at start)

But remember that total divergence is in function of initial and final diameter ..... thinner beams at start, always have more divergence than larger ones, for long distances (not about burning at short distances)

Anyway, you can still do the opposite ..... take the beam at longer distance from the diode with a bigger lens, and (with a good lens, ofcourse), you can get a better divergence for long distances .....

Morgan

89468988.png

Can't we achieve something like this? I mean, "taking" the beam before its too diverged inside the aixiz and using a different lens focus it to the infinite with a thinner beam.

Please tell me that drawing isn't wax crayon?!!! :thinking: :p

Just kidding, actually it's a pretty clear depiction of what you meant and shows the difference between long and short Focal Length lenses very well. Good sketching! (For those that don't know; the Long Focal Length lens is on the top, with a fat beam similar to what you get with a standard acrylic lens from most suppliers, (Aixiz, Meredith, etc); the Short Focal Length lens is on the bottom, with a thin beam similar to what you'd get when purchasing a LarryDFW or Jayrob lens.)

M
:)

JLSE

When I played around with a bigger beam, it was a 3 inch beam...
The lens I used was approx 3 inch as well..

If you have even a magnifying glass, 3-4inches, remove the lens
from an aixiz module and put the big lens in front.

At parallel focus, the dot across the room should be similar to the beam
exiting the new big lens. The entire beam will be this size as well.

I am looking for a pic to add.. I know I have one somewhere, just have to find
it... Its been a few months..

JLSE

Ahh, got it.. new I had them somewhere....

Heres the pics, though the beam is more like 2in dia.. I had forgot
which lens I had used...

This is a LCC LD running @ 360mA. Didnt test the actual output
as no meter I have can fit the beam.. :thinking:
Should be around 190-200mW if memory serves..

rjfek9ef9fn2nsj8uds9s9sejf.jpg

Last edited:
That's cool looking. I'll have to try that with some of the plethora of tv lenses I have.