Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

They say to never boost a red diode...

IsaacT

Well I am wondering if it is possible to use an Microboost with a 650nm Diode from DTR if I am only using two AAA batteries? Seems 3V is pretty low so....? Just trying to figure out the best setup for my 650 pen laser.

Thanks,
Isaac

Blord

3V seems low but a red red diode needs even a lower voltage to run. The boost driver works only if the input voltage is lower than the required Vf of the diode. Strange things might happen if it is otherway around.

IsaacT

So what would be a good setup for a pen laser? I need to get a small driver, but only boosts seem to come in the small packages. I can use xdrives, but it requires difficult modifications to the host I am working with. What about a flex drive? Can you drive a red with one of those? If so, what battery config?

Blord

The LPC826 red diodes are case negative. You could use a linear driver like the square Mohgasm driver. The Xswitch driver could also be used for penlaser.

So what would be a good setup for a pen laser? I need to get a small driver, but only boosts seem to come in the small packages. I can use xdrives, but it requires difficult modifications to the host I am working with. What about a flex drive? Can you drive a red with one of those? If so, what battery config?

A flex drive should be fine they are a buck/boost driver and can be used for almost anything! ;) AFAIK you normally use one battery with them. The hard thing is finding one...:whistle: :beer:

Edit: Just did a quick search and yes only one bat. V5 manual states that it should not get more than 5.8V input.

Edit 2: This is where I found it. It has some other useful info about the V5 pen lasers, 650 and 445 diodes and higher input voltages.. Sounds similar to what you are doing!;)

Last edited:
Well I am wondering if it is possible to use an Microboost with a 650nm Diode from DTR if I am only using two AAA batteries? Seems 3V is pretty low so....? Just trying to figure out the best setup for my 650 pen laser.

Thanks,
Isaac

Today I tested an LPC-826 and compared the current to the voltage, and I'd like to add that it followed the graphs shown here. AND I've read that some red diodes (lpc-815?) operate around 0.8v higher than the 826... So it depends on what current you want to run the diode and what diode it is...... @ 300mA mine ran at ~2.6v... so a microboost would not work.

A microboost would work if you ran a LPC826 over ~570mA, or if yours is a 815...

AND, the microboost needs 2.7v minimum, so 2AAA, after some use, would not 'fire' the laser.
(source)

Anyways, the test load is your friend :beer:

I'll use a flexdrive for my build. Buck/boost is the way to go imo.

IsaacT

I will be using DTR's 650nm Single Mode 3.8mm Diode(not LPC)....I will just do a FlexDrive like everybody has been suggesting. Thanks!!!

I will be using DTR's 650nm Single Mode 3.8mm Diode(not LPC)....I will just do a FlexDrive like everybody has been suggesting. Thanks!!!

Oh, I see. Anyways I think any Buck/Boost topology driver would work for you. Have a good build.

IsaacT

I will just need to find someone to set the current on one for me. Maybe the guys at IS would do it for some extra change ;)

What? Where you see that?

key2.jpg

key3.jpg

:oops: Sorry. Looks like the driver was just trimmed and then sandwiched together with the original LED driver.

Thanks for pointing out my error Benmwv. I didn't look closely enough at the picture to understand what was happening. I apologize Issac for giving you incorrect info :banghead:

Grainde's link looks to be small enough https://illuminationsupply.com/laser-components-c-77/nautilus-integration-micro-flexdrive-v5-p-504.html

~ LB

Last edited:
I will just need to find someone to set the current on one for me. Maybe the guys at IS would do it for some extra change

Its really easy... especially with a test load. Solder blob the two contact points indicated to set it to "low power" mode, then hook it up to a test drive and turn the pot back until its where you want it. I love you wannaburn but you're killing me D:.

Edit: Nice cockblock LB.... :D

Last edited:

IsaacT

Haha you are good man. Although a flexible circuit board for lasers which could be bent or curved would be a worthwhile endeavor I think.

Edit: I just need to buy a test load and everytime I go to click "buy" I think: "that's a gorram diode I could buy instead!"

Last edited: