Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thermal epoxy

I was about to start soldering together my 16mm round driver and put it in the pill. Then realized i didnt have any thermal epoxy. I know its a must for strong lasers, but this build is for a Mitsubishi 300mW 635nm diode. The driver is set at 487mA.Should i wait to install it in the pill till i have some thermal epoxy, or am i ok?

Last edited:

IMHO never leave it out!
But why not go to the crap shack and grab some?
The diode does not make that much heat but its all about life the better thermal transfer the longer life and same for a driver or less chance of it failing.

Im at work now, guess ill just have to finish it tomorrow. Still have to order the diode and wait for moh to get his shipment in before i can assemble the laser. Just was hoping to get this done today. Artic silver a good brand?

Artic silver is a good brand.
I could be wrong but I dont think a hs is needed in ur case.
"It is also recommended you heat sink the driver for any settings over 1.25A."

I had a thread open on this subject and learned alot. Try Amazon found some great deals there.

TacoHerder;

You can get the thermal compound at Fry's Electronics,
or Tanner Electronics in Dallas.

LarryDFW

P.S. We are having a local Laser & Light meeting @ Veteran's Park,
in Arlington April 21st.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/dfw-texas-spring-flashapalooza-sat-april-21-2012-a-72665.html

Gonna try and make it out to that. Sadly i wont be able to finish this laser in time for that. Also with this laser heat really shouldnt be a factor as my duty cycles are never more than 30-45 seconds on and 1 min off. My 1.3W 445nm from Moh's JAD kit gets used for like a total of 3-5 min a day maybe 1 or 2 times a week.