Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The "SXB" Laser Driver 2.1A (Boost)

Hey Laser Heads.:cool:

"The"
SXB

Here is a New Driver that I created. I call it the "SXB". (aka Super X-Boost V8)

Basically its a Beefier Boost drive to the X-Boost. I designed it for the 9mm 445nm diodes and is tested up to 2.1A now down to 3.6v at more then 5v load with no problem at all and should have no problem doing 2.2A down to 3.6v/3.7v. Just got to get the correct resistors in to test this currant.:cool:

I still have a few things to do to it "touch ups" but its pretty much done.:wave:

Right now i have it on a 20mm size board. I plain on adding a few more things to this driver like Op amp etc so i think iam going to keep it around this size. Its single sided so you can heatsink it flat down to a heatsink or a Pill. I will also make a version done the line with contact pads so you can pop it into a pill since surprisingly this driver does not get as hot.:)

Iam very Happy how this driver came out.:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Basic Specs:

Name: SXB "Super X-Boost"
Kind: Boost Only
Voltage In: 2.2V-6.5V
Setting: Fixed Set Resisotors
Max Currant: 2.1A Tested (But should have no problem at 2.2A)
Extra's: Soft Start

Here are some Pictures and Videos i took............

Pictures:

PC060089_zps12c371ef.jpg

PC060091_zpsd1a2649e.jpg

1_zps84a905e8.jpg

2_zpsf8609d63.jpg

3_zps069cfc3c.jpg

BstFixed2_zps64cf86f2.jpg

PC060085_zpsa7aede75.jpg

PC060097_zps0ce21c0e.jpg

PC060076_zpscb73c6b2.jpg

PC060081_zps495d0fd9.jpg

Here is a Short video of it at 2A with a 5v+ load:

and the start up. First slope with the Soft start ~60%. Then after that it slowly sweaps up:
DSC03027_zps64b64293.jpg

:)

:thanks: For Looking.!!!

As a Side Note slightly off topic:

Quiet a few of you have come to me asking for a Higher Currant Buck driver. In the 5A+ to 10A+ range. Some know the trouble i was having getting the chips for my supplier that where the more powerful chips of the X-Drive Buck line.

So what i decided on is since it doesn't looking like iam making any headway with them budging on those chips what iam going to do is make you guys a new buck driver in that High Currant range now that i finished this boost drive above. "Well iam going to try to make it work cant promise anything" I will keep you guys posted on this and hopefully everything works out.:) Probably looking to be ~10-12A MAX.:) I have not forgotten about you guys.:)

Last edited:

ARG

Wow! Looking good! :D Your drivers are by far my favorite, +1 to you :)

What's the efficiency of this one? I imagine it must be pretty high since it's doesn't get as hot.

Last edited:
Wow! Looking good! :D Your drivers are by far my favorite, +1 to you :)

What's the efficiency of this one? I imagine it must be pretty high since it's doesn't get as hot.

Thank You.:)

Well at 2A it looks to be ~84%. Hope to get it in the 90's after the touch up.:)

Wow another great driver! Good luck with the sales... :gj: and +1 :beer:

jayrob

Good stuff Angelos! :gj:

You have been busy!

May I ask if a heatsink is required for this bad boy? (most likely huh?)

I saw a heatsink in your video.

Can you show a picture of what chip to mount the heatsink to.

Great work man! :beer:

Last edited:
grainde
jander6442
DJNY

:thanks: Guys.:eek:

Good stuff Angelos! :gj:

You have been busy!

May I ask if a heatsink is required for this bad boy? (most likely huh?)

I saw a heatsink in your video.

Can you show a picture of what chip to mount the heatsink to.

Great work man! :beer:

Sure have been.:p Hell, I have not made a post in over a month.:spank:

TO be Honest with you Jay a Small heatsink will do the Trick. Well at least for 2A. Or even popping it into a Pill will be enough. The driver really does not get that hot.

Since this Chip has a Thermal pad The best way to heatsink the drive is from the bottom side where you see the Exposed copper pad. That is going straight to the thermal pad on the Chip.

The Black chip in the center is what you want to heatsink. So if say you cannot heatsink it from the bottom then you would place a heatsink on top of the big black Chip in the center of the board.

This is why i went in for a Chip in a larger size. They handle the heat better.

Last edited:

jayrob

Good information...

Good testing vid...

Great work!

:thanks:

sinner

Hey Laser Heads.:cool:

Look Who's saying :p You're the biggest of all the heads theres ever been man! I'm in for this one! Good Luck with the sales..

I sent you a pm a while ago, I want/need some of your drives so bad..

Just a word of advice for another driver builder like me - I have found that while, yes, the bigger chips have a higher specific heat, the DFN and QFN chips typically have a higher thermal conductivity to ambient or to the case. That's why I have been switching over to the DFNs and QFNs for my BlitzBucks and other drivers that are upcoming - they are easier to heatsink!

Look Who's saying :p You're the biggest of all the heads theres ever been man! I'm in for this one! Good Luck with the sales..

I sent you a pm a while ago, I want/need some of your drives so bad..

I thought i answered you on that.:p Ill have to look it up again.:) I just got back so i must of missed it through all the Pms. Iam still looking through all them.

Just a word of advice for another driver builder like me - I have found that while, yes, the bigger chips have a higher specific heat, the DFN and QFN chips typically have a higher thermal conductivity to ambient or to the case. That's why I have been switching over to the DFNs and QFNs for my BlitzBucks and other drivers that are upcoming - they are easier to heatsink!

Thats not quit true Unless you are just referring to larger chips that dont have a thermal pads that gets soldered to the boards.

Most of the larger chips that have a high switch currant usually have a thermal pad that gets soldered to the board just like QFN and other chips of that nature etc...

Therefore the larger chip is Superior. For Example this chip has a Larger Thermal pad in the center of the chip that gets soldered to the Bord then a QFN chip has. Being that its a larger chip as well only makes it handle heat even better.

If both chips have thermal pads that get soldered to the board then the larger chip will be better and is why i went with this package choose rather then the other one that was available.

I... don't agree. On every single datasheet I have ever seen for an IC with both an SO package and a FN package, datasheet clearly states that the FN package has higher thermal conductivity, even when they both have thermal pads. It's because the larger ones have more PLASTIC to go through to get to ambient. But it's your call. :beer: