Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

The StridAst Silver 10440 Host

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Points
0
StridAst sent me one of his GORGEOUS silver, 10440 hosts to examine.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/updated-sterling-silver-host-single-10440-a-52024.html

This is not just a host. It is a work of art.

The host arrived with the host body and a small insulated ring for the back of the module. I am going to apologize to you and StridAst right now for forgetting to take a picture of the small insulting ring. Suffice it to say, the ring provides an easy and very effective positive contact point at the rear of the module

With the kit, you must supply the module, diode, driver, and battery.



You begin by building a standard laser module with the case as the negative path and the driver housed inside the module. Only leave the positive lead out the rear of the module. Then you strip the end of the positive lead. Thread the lead through the small insulating ring and press the wire down until it is in contact with the metal "washer" inside the ring. You then add a drop of solder to the rear of the ring. This becomes the positive contact point for the battery. I added a small spot of hot glue to the rear of the ring, just to hold it in place.

The host has an ID of 12mm so the AixiZ module fits (with some play) into the front of the host. StridAst sent along some silver foil to wrap the module in to fill the small gap between the module and the host AND to provide a very good connection between the module and the host to provide the negative path.

Wrap a couple of wraps of the silver foil around the module and push it into the front of the host until the front of the module is flush with the front of the host. I added a single small drop of CA to the module/host junction just to hold it in place, but I do not know if this is really needed.



The tail of the host unscrews and contains a tail clicky switch and a spring contact. The tail spring provides the tension needed to maintain a good contact at both ends of the battery. Now you simply place your 10440 battery into the host and screw the tail back on.

The threading is nice and secure. The is no "play" or sloppiness to the fit.



The completed host with the 10440 battery weighs in at 98 grams (3.5oz). It feels very "solid" in my hand. It is 11cm in length and 15mm OD. My host was fitted with a small sapphire mounted on the tail, so I can tell the front from the rear without looking. The tail clicky is a soft clicky. It is recessed inside the tail just enough to prevent accidentally pressing the switch.

I built this one with a 445nm diode and a drlava MicroFlex driver (flexdrive). With the use of a 10440 and my desire that this be an actual "working" laser, I set the driver @ <300mA. I am using a stock AixiZ acrylic lens.



One of my complaints about this 4454nm diode is that people are setting them to very high outputs for "bragging rights" and ending up with a laser that is too bright to actually "use" in everyday life. The combination of the lower current and the stock acrylic lens give me a very nice spot at a useful 100mW. This beauty has replaced my 445nm "pointer" as my favorite laser to use for pointing.

When StridAst finally starts producing these for sale, I HIGHLY recommend you pick one up from him. As I said at the beginning, this is not just a host. It is truly a work of art



Thank you StridAst



Peace,
dave
 

StridAst

New member
Joined
Oct 23, 2009
Messages
364
Points
0
Great review!

Got two last little tweaks before I list these for sale. Among which will be adding a focusing ring. That should eliminate the unfinished look at the front.

Curious. I haven't tested how well the heatsinking is in the straight small design on this. How long before the host heats up? At 300ma that's a draw of >1.2 watts from the battery right? At ~100mw that's still got to dissipate >1.1 watts of heat. Or am I wrong on the math?
 
Last edited:

Exerd

New member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
443
Points
0
Howdy StridAst,

Nice host!

I can't tell you a simple formula for predicting heat, but I can tell you that not all of the energy being used is converted to heat. A small portion of the resistance in the diode is converted to heat. Most of the energy being used is turned into photons, so the actual value of heat created should be much lower than the 1.1W estimate.
 

aXit

New member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
206
Points
0
Howdy StridAst,

Nice host!

I can't tell you a simple formula for predicting heat, but I can tell you that not all of the energy being used is converted to heat. A small portion of the resistance in the diode is converted to heat. Most of the energy being used is turned into photons, so the actual value of heat created should be much lower than the 1.1W estimate.
Not really correct, most of the energy going into the laser diode comes out as heat.

With these blue diodes, they're around 25% efficient, as in only 25% of the power going into the diodes is coming out as light, the other 75% is heat.
 

Exerd

New member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
443
Points
0
Not really correct, most of the energy going into the laser diode comes out as heat.

With these blue diodes, they're around 25% efficient, as in only 25% of the power going into the diodes is coming out as light, the other 75% is heat.
Ah. Makes sense. I knew it had to be a bit less than what was being used, or else it would make an incredibly efficient heater that also made photons.
 

tysonc1979

New member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
231
Points
0
Great review Dave I will definitely have to get one of these when they become available.
 

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Points
0
-- additional benefit posted in an unrelated thread --

Women actually like this laser :eg:

Peace,
dave
 

Nanolaser

New member
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
548
Points
0
This is the first Dungeons and Dragons art style host is see, or can i say medieval style ? I must say that it looks mysterious,... :p
 

Burnsy

New member
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
242
Points
0
Yeah this host is a beauty :)

And Dave what can you say about the dot from the acrylic lens in comparison to the 405 glass lens? Which one gives the nicer dot (or more round)?
 




Top