Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The solution to all of your IR worries

Razako

I'm posting this for everyone who is worried about IR.
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=6&idproduct=68
Step1=buy IR filter for $8.
Step2=cut filter to proper size and glue to the font of laser.
step3=enjoy your IR filtered laser.

It will cost you a bit of extra cash but if you are highly concerned about IR and want to use the laser with normal green blocking goggles this filter is for you. You can't put a price on safety ;)

JLSE

How do you cut your filters? I havent found a better method yet. Ive been using side cutters with the glass still in the tissue. When done this way, I just hope for the best. I dont like handling these more than nescesary, and had no luck with a glass cutter .

Joe

where would i glue this on the DX ultrafire 20mW?

sku_5785_5.jpg

Razako

IR.jpg

If you glue it here the IR filter will fit easily underneath the outer glass lens. Btw don't use super glue because it gives off fumes that will mess the lens up. Use epoxy instead.

JLSE

If you put it under the head cap, you probably wouldnt have to cut it ;)

hmm, i was thinking of maybe a small amount of putty so i could take it off if i wanted to. But ill probably end up putting a small amount of epoxy.

L4sers

can you just use a bit of duck tape if I were to put it onto the outside of my 50mW?

And this works on red lasers, not just green?

Razako

L4sers said:
can you just use a bit of duck tape if I were to put it onto the outside of my 50mW?
NO! Tape will get sticky residue all over the filter and your lasers lens and ruin things. Either glue it in place permanently or don't use it at all. The less you touch these things the better.
Btw red lasers don't emit any IR so they don't need filters. They don't look anywhere near as cool as green through.

L4sers

Razako said:
[quote author=L4sers link=1211999457/0#9 date=1212012564]can you just use a bit of duck tape if I were to put it onto the outside of my 50mW?
NO!  Tape will get sticky residue all over the filter and your lasers lens and ruin things.  Either glue it in place permanently or don't use it at all.  The less you touch these things the better.
Btw red lasers don't emit any IR so they don't need filters.  They don't look anywhere near as cool as green through.[/quote]

Ok so if I have this
sku_12342_1.jpg
, where should I put the IR filter? And does the IR filter make the beam.. uhh.. not sure how to say it, but less powerful or something?

Razako

Put the filter on like this and apply very thin lines of epoxy near the edges. Do not get any near the hole where the beam exits the laser. Usually the filter will waste 3-5% of the green light. After putting the filter on you should keep a protective plastic cover over the laser when it's not in use to keep dust and stuff off the filter.
Sadly the filter won't look very good on this model of laser and you should only try this if you refuse to risk the IR.
IR2.jpg

L4sers

thanks!! do I really need to worry about IR? I am gettin a bit paronoid. I am not gonna flash a green light into my eyes, im way to careful, but I just worry about stuff I cannot really control, like IR...

Razako

L4sers said:
thanks!! do I really need to worry about IR? I am gettin a bit paronoid. I am not gonna flash a green light into my eyes, im way to careful, but I just worry about stuff I cannot really control, like IR...
If you know what you're doing and fully understand the dangers of IR and what it is you don't need to worry about it so much. If you still don't understand IR you should just get the filter and be done with it so you don't risk hurting your eyes.