Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The "Ninja MK II" - 445nm Chrome Phaser

rhd

The Ninja MK II Phaser

I had some free time this week, so I've taken on a few new builds. This is one that I'm really excited about. It's a follow-up to my "Blue Ninja" build from almost a year ago (here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/blue-ninja-445nm-1-700mw-diy-creation-61067.html) This build may take the cake as the "tightest" build yet, even though it's certainly not the smallest. Almost every square mm of internal space is used in some way or another.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's a similar concept with some upgrades (Photoshopped breakaway below). The diode is an M140, running at 1.6A. Current is regulated by a 1084 IC, thermal epoxied to the aluminum case. The momentary switch is substantially heavier-duty, and takes up a fair portion (25%?) of the host's internals. Two Lipo cells provide the necessary current. Both cells have protection cells, to help ensure that the phaser doesn't have a melt-down. This time I've added a full charging port instead of the alligator clip contact board approach of the original.

attachment.php

Perhaps most excitingly, this guy had his blue finish stripped, and went on a trip to the buffing wheel, as did the diode housing itself. I even lightly sanded the front of the M9x0.5 lens to make it match the shiny look and feel of the rest of the build. I oriented the diode such that the thin axis would be visible when looking down on the build from above (adds to personal satisfaction greatly IMO!).

attachment.php

The titles and logo are achieved using laser-printable foil labels, that by 90% sheer luck match the finish of polished aluminum to near perfection. That's not a camera trick. If you stare at this build, it's really difficult to identify that the foil printing isn't the exact same material as the rest of the host.

What I love most of all, is the tactile feel of this particular momentary clicky. It takes a fair amount of pressure to activate. So much so, that I'm actually relying on it resting on the inner bottom of this host, otherwise, I'm not sure I would trust the retaining nut alone to endure the pressure over time. The click gives both a great tactile feel, and a wonderful "click-click" mechanical sound when activated.

attachment.php

I'm pretty comfortable saying that this is my new favorite build :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,805
  • breakaway.jpg
    breakaway.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1,787
  • beamshot triggered.jpg
    beamshot triggered.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,542
  • beamshot.jpg
    beamshot.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,490
  • mainphoto.jpg
    mainphoto.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,497
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,463
Last edited:

jimdt7

I want it......................... :p
Awesome man +1

Jim

DrSid

The switch looks like those used on guitar effects. They are intended to be switched by foot, so that's maybe why it's so tough.

Nice build !

I thought those Logos where etched in. Nice job.:beer:

Whats the power.?

Last edited:
Brilliant. But question - what's the mechanism that you used for the charging port? A switch to change it to parallel? Or did you just have another couple of heads to plug in and charge them in series?

rhd

Brilliant. But question - what's the mechanism that you used for the charging port? A switch to change it to parallel? Or did you just have another couple of heads to plug in and charge them in series?

I kept them in series, and bought a 2P lithium ion charger. Eventually (once the parts arrive), I'll swap out that connector for a proper 2S balance charger plug. Just waiting on the balance charger itself, and the plus.

But - 2S (8.4V) chargers are pretty cool, as long as you recognize that it's not the best way to charge li-ions.

Simply astonishing man, I'd be even cooler if you got the writing etched in! If you like, I could do it at my machine shop.

Another thought, ever consider adding a pot for adjustable power? Of course, it would have to look just as cool as the push-button switch though ;)

rhd

Thanks Joe / Wolfman!

Pot's for adjustable power are tricky with DDL-based linear drivers. A 3 or 5 selection switch would be quite doable. Though I would have had to sacrifice something else for the space, and that wasn't an option this time around. Maybe for the MK III.....:)

That's why I have been avoiding linear regulators as of late :\ I like having a driver that can do it all, and when that means switching out components every time I want to change power, I can't do that. I'm trying to work on a driver that is easily adjustable like switching converters but is linear and low-part-count like DDLs... trying to figure out a way to use a voltage bridge to change resistance :thinking: