Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The newest exotic pet...

His name's Houdini, he's an Octopus mercatoris. He earned his name because he's a hell of an escape artist.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have never seen a pet Octopus (Tho now I realize I haven't searched >.<). I assumed they where just too hard to keep. I've always been intrigued by cephalopods, in particular octopus & cuttlefish.
I would love to know whats involved in keeping him. I guessing it is at least somewhat difficult.

Last edited:
I have never seen a pet Octopus (Tho now I realize I haven't searched >.<). I assumed they where just too hard to keep. I've always been intrigued by cephalopods, in particular octopus & cuttlefish.
I would love to know whats involved in keeping him. I guessing it is at least somewhat difficult.

Once you know how to handle a saltwater tank, it's no more difficult than keeping a reef. In other words, it's intermediate in difficulty. What shoots down most folk's interest in keeping any saltwater tank is the tremendous initial investment. I have about $1500 into just my 30 gallon tank, it gets MUCH more expensive with larger setups.

The main problem with keeping cephs is that they produce a TON of waste and you need to have 3x the filtering capacity that you would otherwise need. I have 100gal stuff on my 30gal tank to ensure that he won't pollute his tank when he gets bigger (he's still tiny). They also need a lot of mental stimulation to keep them from literally going crazy. These are very intelligent animals, like a dog or a parrot, and are generally considered "honorary vertebrates" by ethics groups because of their extreme intelligence.

If you're interested in keeping them and would like to learn more, check out tonmo.com. I'm bagarius over there. I've been reading articles on that site since 2005. That site is the definitive amateur cephalopod care resource.

Last edited:
I would like to see some pictures taken with white light so I can see what he realy looks like.

jaycey

What filtration system are you using?
Talk tecnical to me, ive kept reefs for 30 years:)

Im guessing lots of skimming is essential to remove waste before it gets a chance to break down in a 30gal setup. Tight fitting lid:D

My current setup relies solely on live rock and quality skimming, I also use Rowaphos because of the high levels of phosphates in London water.

How big does this one get? I've always heard they are difficult to keep, mostly because of the size most of them get to.

I have 90g I was going to convert. Then I saw the price, not including the fish. And one mistake there goes 1K in fish. I bought a Ball python instead.

What filtration system are you using?
Talk tecnical to me, ive kept reefs for 30 years:)

Im guessing lots of skimming is essential to remove waste before it gets a chance to break down in a 30gal setup. Tight fitting lid:D

My current setup relies solely on live rock and quality skimming, I also use Rowaphos because of the high levels of phosphates in London water.

I have a 24" skimmer made by the company who does Instant Ocean. I can't remember what their name is. I don't have a powerhead on the outlet, but the pump moves so damn much water into it I really don't need one, it just has an overflow back into the tank. I have an Eclipse tank with the nifty lid that has the integrated filter and whatnot, running a 420 actinic and a 10,000k. It also has the benefit of being really tight fitting. I also have about 50 pounds of live rock and some macro algae. I have a good cave structure setup with my rock that is both secure and has the benefit of doubling my LR surface area. I also have a few corals and the mandatory cleanup crew. The tank is almost a year old now. I really want to set up a sump.

randomlugia said:
How big does this one get? I've always heard they are difficult to keep, mostly because of the size most of them get to.

This is an Octopus mercatoris, one of the dwarf species. his mantle will get about an inch and a half long, and his arms will get about ten inches. A 30 gallon tank is kinda pushing it even for one this small. Most of the ones you're going to find will get mantles the size of a grapefruit and arms two feet long. You need a HUGE tank for most of the species.

This guy is nocturnal, so he's kind of just a neat thing for me to have in the tank. No one else ever sees it. The main function he's served for me so far is to eat my cleanup crew. It's getting expensive.

This guy is nocturnal, so he's kind of just a neat thing for me to have in the tank. No one else ever sees it. The main function he's served for me so far is to eat my cleanup crew.
:crackup: Have you tried telling him that they aren't lunch? I hear they use sign language. If your in the UK try BSL.

This is an Octopus mercatoris, one of the dwarf species. his mantle will get about an inch and a half long, and his arms will get about ten inches. A 30 gallon tank is kinda pushing it even for one this small. Most of the ones you're going to find will get mantles the size of a grapefruit and arms two feet long. You need a HUGE tank for most of the species.

If you're referring to my last aquarium post, I'm using a 120G now, not 30. I don't really want one, but it looks great.

If you're referring to my last aquarium post, I'm using a 120G now, not 30. I don't really want one, but it looks great.

Mine's a 30. A 120 would be fine for most species.

edit- just saw the pics. That's a HELL of a nice tank! :)

Last edited: