Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The New Laser Show At Grand Coulee Dam

Hey lpf..

Well this year the old laser show up at Grand Coulee Dam about a half hour North of were I live was replaced with a new system that was built by LumaLasers out of Eugene Oregon.. The old system that had first installed in 1989 and ran for 25 years was a set of four gas lasers.. Two argon and two krypton lasers.. The new system uses 9 lasers. here is a article that explains a little of what is in the new show.. Road Runner News - Road Runner Grand Coulee Dam's new laser show worth the wait

and here is a video that i found on youtube of the new show now I have seen the old show many times and the colors on the new shows video are mind blowing I am going to head up there and watch it in person.. here is the link to the new show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQQjSxhh9c if any one in lpf is interested in seeing the show the last showing of the year is sept 24 I know of two motels in coulee city and there is four or five in grand coulee. from coulee city its a 29 mile drive up banks lake to get to grand coulee.. There is a state park were you can camp call Steamboat State Park it has unimproved campsites as well as rv slots. The town of Coulee city also have a part were both are to be had. There is one more State park near grand coulee called spring canyon.. lots of fun.. There are other scenic places to look at as well. If any one is interested in seeing the largest concrete dam in North America feel free to pm me for details

I have been there before but it was prior to 1989 so I didn't get to see any laser show. I don't remember if it was when I lived in Walla Walla or in Wenatchee. I wish I could go but now I doubt I will make it back that way again. Thanks for posting this.

Alan

For those that didn't know, These shows are generated with 4 incredibly powerful ion lasers. 2 12W kryptons, and 2 30W argons.

I started to watch the video but with the download speed here It would have been quicker if I just got a row boat and rowed over there, up the river and watched it in person….. next year!
I am guessing that the use the dam wall as a large projection screen?

correct but the face of the dam is 4000 feet from the lasers

Grand Coulee Is the biggest Concrete dam in North America it use to be the biggest dam in the world but the Chinese build one bigger but its not all concrete

That would be the Three Gorges Dam in Hubei, China, and it has the world's largest instantaneous generating capacity (22,500 MW). :eek:

Last edited: