Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Math Thread

Ok, this is the official Math Thread (certified by Chuck's Fist, if you have any doubts then you will be dead in 2 seconds or less).

Post your math problems, theories, cool math stuff, you know, like e or Phi or number of horns on a unicorn.

Note to everybody: Use THIS thread if you want to post something related to math, this way we won't let the thread die and all cool math stuff can be just right here.

YAY.

Switch

Ok here's one for you. :D I'm gonna have an exam out of these things in three days and I've been having trouble with surface generation problems.
Code:
Write the equation of a circular cilindrical surface which contains the lines: 
x=y=z
x+1=y=z-1
x-1=y+1=z-2

Ok , so far I know the direction, the generators, and I need the directrix curve which should be a circle that contains the intersection points of those lines with a plane perpendicular to them.Those 3 points form a triangle that "fits right into my circle" (lol , I don't know the mathematical term in english :p) . I need the coordinates for the center of that circle and its radius.The perpendicular plane is also easily obtainable.

Anyone care to help? ::)

Btw, what kind of math do you guys study at college? I'm just a first year at robotics.I study some algebra(determinants, gauss-jordan method) , analytic geometry^ , and analysis (partial derivatives, integrals, differentials, Taylor ,macLaurin).And some differential geometry next semester. :D

Switch said:
Ok here's one for you. :D I'm gonna have an exam out of these things in three days and I've been having trouble with surface generation problems.
Code:
Write the equation of a circular cilindrical surface which contains the lines: 
x=y=z
x+1=y=z-1
x-1=y+1=z-2

Ok , so far I know the direction, the generators, and I need the directrix curve which should be a circle that contains the intersection points of those lines with a plane perpendicular to them.Those 3 points form a triangle that "fits right into my circle" (lol , I don't know the mathematical term in english :p) . I need the coordinates for the center of that circle and its radius.The perpendicular plane is also easily obtainable.

Anyone care to help? ::)

Btw, what kind of math do you guys study at college? I'm just a first year at robotics.I study some algebra(determinants, gauss-jordan method) , analytic geometry^ , and analysis (partial derivatives, integrals, differentials, Taylor ,macLaurin).And some differential geometry next semester. :D

Well, I've got to take my algebra final this next week (or so, I don' remember the exact date yet :p), so i'll have to study all that stuff again.

so i could help you with that problem, but right now my brain does not want to touch anything related to the subject. it's that time lapse before the exam where you just don't want to know anything but listening to music or something else ;D :D

this last 2008 i studied mathematical analysis (sorry, but it's not easy to translate the subjects' names into english :p), algebra and physics. this 2009 i'll have to take physics II, math. analysis II and probability & statistics

(besides other subjects, of course) :)

Switch

Well, the exam's tomorow.....then I have the materials science exam two days later....the last one....then 18 glorious days of freedom :D I'll tell you how it goes. ;D

Btw, what's your major, and what year?

Switch said:
Well, the exam's tomorow.....then I have the materials science exam two days later....the last one....then 18 glorious days of freedom :D I'll tell you how it goes. ;D

Btw, what's your major, and what year?

First year of industrial engineering. I already have enough to digest :p

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Good memories.  I was in Electrical Engineering for a while but ended up graduating with a degree in journalism.   ;D

LOL! Big change!

mathruined.jpg

edit: applies under "cool math stuff" :D

I know all those...there's even a powerpoint presentation with ALL of them :p

you won't have to wait long till somebody posts the guy that hangs himself from a square root