Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The many faces of the PHR-803T

JLSE

A while back I was playing with a pointer, shining it across the front of my aqurium when I noticed multiple colours. I made mention of it on the forum, and picked at the idea for a while. The conclusion which I drew, was that the beam was hitting the silicone on the corners of the tank, florecing it, and then the corner of the glass was behaving like a prism and producing red, green and blue.

The idea of different wavelengths passed into the back of my head, and didnt give it anymore thought. Well EURIKA! Last night I was setting up a couple of labby's, and on one of them fed it some extra current [smiley=evil.gif]
It was running at 170ma and putting out 160mW, I got up to make a coffee,  and when I returned to my desk the laser was dim and cooked.

Before I shut is off, I did what most do and fed it 300ma, and watched all of the pretty mode shifts. But there was something a little strange that I had never noticed before. On my LaserBee thermopile, I noted that the dot looked whitish, almost as if it was a shadow with a dim light. It had a yellow tint to it, but I could not pick this up with my camera, only blue appeared.

I turned the power all the way down to 80ma, put on my goggles, and peered into the cavity (dont try this at home).
The chip was giving off a strong yellow glow, with rings of green and red! I played with it a bit, took pictures and noticed at 150ma it still had approx 1/2mW of yellow! I set the focus to a fine point at 15ft, but instead of a dot I got a 6in long rectangle  with the following colours, Maroon, Light Blue, Violet, Green, Deep Pastel Yellow, Gold, and Red!

I pointed this square dot onto my fridge, and just like always the camera doesnt do justice. But there is certainly something very different with these diodes over the usual monochromatic wavelength.

The pics were inhanced by brightness only, as the originals are black from the lights off.

* The yellow it produced looked like my fridge had a patch of schoolbus yellow painted on it! A deep pastel tone, If anyone is curious, I can post the untouched original pics for you to enhance on your own. There was NO alteration to the hue or saturation, and the pics look exactly like viewing with the naked eye, just not as vivid or defined.

Attachments

• P1220906_copy.jpg
    P1220906_copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80

woah thats awesome, I didn't know that they projected different colors :)

JLSE

maxkillz said:
woah thats awesome, I didn't know that they projected different colors :)

There has been other members who report green or yellow around the dot, but this diode (which still works) actually projects these colours onto a surface that wont florece. The divergence is as crappy, if not worse than that of a 2watt cmount, but its coherent :eek:

hmm...I just built one last night, I hope it doesn't fry (well at least soon) blu-rays seem to hate me :-/ when this one goes LED I'll pump a TON of current through it to see what happened ;D

JLSE

pullbangdead said:
How do you know it's coherent?

Without 100% of course, but has anyone seen a gain medium behave like a lightbulb? It travels the same as laser, cant be persuaded by a prism, diverges like a diode would, what would you say with these behaviors? Even when a diode goes LED, its still a laser, just not very bright. Ive blown many reds, and have never seen anything like this. If it werent, why would it behave as such?

JLSE

If anyone can explain this, by all means, please do.. :)

Attachments

• P1220901.jpg
    P1220901.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 84
wannaburn said:
A while back I was playing with a pointer, shining it across the front of my aqurium when I noticed multiple colours. I made mention of it on the forum, and picked at the idea for a while. The conclusion which I drew, was that the beam was hitting the silicone on the corners of the tank, florecing it, and then the corner of the glass was behaving like a prism and producing red, green and blue.

Be careful not to blind the fishies! I do it with 5mWs all the time, but not bluray. Really weird, it's too bad it isn't brighter, or you could make an RGB show. You might still be able to with a ton of smoke. :D

JLSE

daguin said:

Thanks for the link, I had not read that thread before. I havent seen this with a full working diode as the 405nm seems to be far too dominant.  So how is it that these colours wont split in a prism? I just went and picked up a basic prism, and will try blocking the 405nm to see what the output is. I have to wait til it gets nice and dark, but am anxious to see if there is potentially a yellow diode waiting to happen. To see the pattern up close, I swear it looked like someone took a spraycan of paint and sprayed the door of my fridge. It didnt look anything like combining red and green, it was a deep, deep yellow. The maroon and light blue are nice as well ;)

Attachments

• P1220875.JPG
    P1220875.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
I don't think it's coherent. That is just the projection of the laser's die, you can see how the projection matches the die's shape, kinda rectangular.
The exact same thing happens when you try to "collimate" the die of an LED, you'll get the exact shape of the LED's die on the wall, even though the dot can get somewhat small.

Just wanna share this, a ps3 diode plus nova shield goggles:
laser1058-1.jpg

:)

JLSE

FireMyLaser said:
I don't think it's coherent. That is just the projection of the laser's die, you can see how the projection matches the die's shape, kinda rectangular.
The exact same thing happens when you try to "collimate" the die of an LED, you'll get the exact shape of the LED's die on the wall, even though the dot can get somewhat small.

Just wanna share this, a ps3 diode plus nova shield goggles:
laser1058-1.jpg

:)

Nice pic :) I tried for a beam shot, but its just too faint. So why yellow, green and the spectrum? Arent these diodes supposed to be a single colour? And why in Milos pics in the link above would it appear so bright? Is it possible that the chip emmits different wavelengths to get the single colour? And why not in red diodes? Now I want to try and replicate this with a red.

Im still confused by this :-/

daguin

wannaburn said:
Nice pic  :) I tried for a beam shot, but its just too faint. So why yellow, green and the spectrum? Arent these diodes supposed to be a single colour? And why in Milos pics in the link above would it appear so bright? Is it possible that the chip emmits different wavelengths to get the single colour? And why not in red diodes? Now I want to try and replicate this with a red.
Im still confused by this :-/

At the time we speculated that parts of the crystal were fluorescing.

Peace,
dave