Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Magnet Thread

Most of us have other hobbies besides lasers. I love messing around with electronics especially HV stuff. Also I like to play around with magnets!

I know some of you guys have quite a collection too. What are some cool things and experiments you have done with yours. Post you pics of your collections.

Magnets.jpg

Magnets1.jpg

Magnets2.jpg

Magnets3.jpg

Diamagnitism.jpg

-Tony

On the topic of magnetic levitation I have been thinking about how to levitate a permanent magnet without power. Lets run through what we have got so far.

Diamagnetism is neat but at best you can only levitate a small magnet a small amount.
Electromagnetic levitation devices use coils and there for need power.
Gyrostabilized levitation like the Levitron requires a spinning magnet so it wont last unless it is powered somehow.
Superconductivity requires very low temperatures and liquid nitrogen is not something found in your everyday market.

So what is a cheap way to levitate something without the use of power, chemicals, or mechanism?

I thought of this last night

What if you had a parabolic dish lined with permanent magnets with lets say the - pole pointing up. Then a sphere lined magnets with - pole facing out was placed at foucs of the parabolic dish... Will it work!?!? The fact that I have never seen anything like it makes me think it wont, but I cant see why. :-/

Here is a abysmal pic of what I'm talking about.

MagLev.jpg

Whatcha Think!? ;D

-Tony

I just recently got a magnetic monopole for the collection. It's pretty cool. It was kinda hard to find though, and I'm not at liberty to say where I got it.

;)

So the floating ball thing doesn't work. :p The spaces between the magnets attract to the others magnets. I think you would need so many magnets and they have to be perfectly aliened.

Pics!!

-Tony

rkcstr

So, in that first picture, did you have to VERY carefully place all of those things so they didn't end up in a giant clump magnets? Some of that stuff looks dangerously close to one another.

iewed

I've always wanted to collect magnets, but I've been afraid of then messing up all of my electronic stuff. If I could find a way to store the magnets safely then I'd probably start collecting them.

iewed said:
I've always wanted to collect magnets, but I've been afraid of then messing up all of my electronic stuff. If I could find a way to store the magnets safely then I'd probably start collecting them.
same

I bought this at the planetarium about a year ago. It's still on my desk

picture095zi1.jpg

I think its pretty weird because while its "floating" Errr whatever, it has a natural spin if its own. The globe seems to wind... then unwind as if its on a string. I know it sounds crazy. Kinda like one of those people....."the WorlD is on A StrinG, OMGZ".
Ya, i'm not that guy. LoL.
Anyways... it does almost one full rotation. From a stop it slowly unwinds, then it gains a little momentum and slows down again. Then comes to a stop then reverses. All day long. Its weird to watch. They also had some with shuttles & planes instead of globes.

I still think its one of the coolest things.

Razako

Xplorer877 said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1232023670/0#9 date=1232409798]It was because of me that powerful magnets are now banned at Explorer Middle School.

-Mark

LOL! Why> :D

-Tony[/quote]
Magnet+CRT monitors in school=win ;)

Coherent said:
[quote author=Xplorer877 link=1232023670/0#10 date=1232414825][quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1232023670/0#9 date=1232409798]It was because of me that powerful magnets are now banned at Explorer Middle School.

-Mark

LOL! Why> :D

-Tony[/quote]
Magnet+CRT monitors in school=win ;)[/quote]
when I'm at school there is a high tech April fools. They never found the magnet.

diachi

The biggest magnet I own, I also have some Nd magnets from HDDs  :)

EDIT: dayum, look at those CCD burns, especially the one across from the magnet :eek:

Attachments

• IMG055.JPG
    IMG055.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 114