Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The insides of those small laser keychains?

I was wondering if anybody had pictures of what the inside of those small keychain lasers (with the round tip) looks like...

images

No pictures, but a lot of them are COB builds, i.e. they don't have a discreet diode, but rather the diode chip (and sometimes a resistor) is directly mounted onto a piece of circuit board material.

What specifically were you wondering about?

I had the yellow one in the package in the top-right, it was attached to the key for the crawlspace that my neighbor and I share. (hopefully I gave it back, otherwise that means I lost it.... otherwise I'd see about disassembling it)

No pictures, but a lot of them are COB builds, i.e. they don't have a discreet diode, but rather the diode chip (and sometimes a resistor) is directly mounted onto a piece of circuit board material.

I had the yellow one in the package in the top-right, it was attached to the key for the crawlspace that my neighbor and I share. (hopefully I gave it back, otherwise that means I lost it.... otherwise I'd see about disassembling it)

Any idea on their output? >0.5mw?

Ah, sorry, my only low power metered laser is a 5mW green, so I can't even give you an eyeball estimate. All I'd be doing is blindly guessing (if you'll excuse the pun!). But if I had to guess, I'd say it was over 0.5mW, but still not over 5mW. By that, I mean that it was brighter than some keychain reds I've had, but still seen other, much brighter cheapo keychain lasers that also claimed to be <5mW.

Because they're not current limited, the output power depends on the state of the batteries. They're usually 3mW or less though.

I knew they were less than 5mw but I think they are 1 mw they are so cheap and break almost right away...

They are sold freely here in Oz and we have a 1mw Law therefore I would assume less than to 1mw.
Cheers
S

I found that 'diode chip' in a red pen laser off ebay!