Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The closest laser pointer with similar specs?

Hi,

I found your forums searching for answers about using lasers for a minor medical condition. I see this topic occasionally comes up at these forums so I guess it won't come as a surprise to any of you.

As you know there are very expensive treatments for treating unsightly toe nail um...blemishes....and I found the specs for the most popular laser device doctors use to treat their patients.

Well, I can't really afford the treatment and since I found the specs online, I thought I'd post them here and ask the experts if there are any laser pointers that come close to the same specs that I could buy to treat myself for less than $1000, which is typically what treatment would cost and a little bit of ones dignity.

Here are the specs with the device's name in the image:

pinpointe_specifications.gif

Taking into account I don't want to burn my toes with the wrong laser pointer, what do you guys and/or ladies think would be a laser pointer that would fit these specs the best?

Thanks. Hopefully, the answers might help others searching for the same solution. :yh:

Last edited:

upaa27

I am going to guess that is a ytterbium doped fiber laser. It is however pulsed and you would never be able to do this by hand. The total project cost would be more than $1000 to make. I suggest just going with the operation.

Thank you so much for the reply. I don't know enough about lasers to know what laser parameters and specs would matter when performing such a procedure.

They must be very specialized lasers if they cost so much. Thanks again.

Yeah I agree---

besides all that-- the actual beam is nearly invisable-
and no pointer (actually IMO the correct term is 'handheld' ----most here think of a pen pointer when you use the term pointer-- if it fatter than a pen then its not a 'pointer' per se. (to me)

A HHeld would NOT be pulsed-

The eyeware for such a laser would also be very expensive also.

They say being your own lawyer-- has a fool for a client
maybe the same is true for being your own doctor-- a fool for a patient.

btw

you may want to finish doing your personal profile --we tend to be more helpful if we know your general location.

also... most here find it to be good manners for ALL new-comers to make an 'intro' thread in the welcome section-- see those made by others if you dont know what a proper intro is...just a suggestion

FYI there is scammer in Baco Raton Fl who sells medical lasers- AVOID this asshat-- Sam at 'Liquid Lasers' is a cyber thief and a liar-- he scammed JL and attempted to scam me too--

go to jetlasers.com to see the medical lasers they sell.-- IMO a much safer place to buy what you need. (maybe)

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to throw this info out there. A friend of mine did 2 tours and she got trench foot so bad that six of her toenails got toe fungus really bad. She was mortified to take off her shoes state side :(
After much research, discussion and concern about cellular damage. I went over all details of using a hand held laser, safety, nm, mW and so on with her. We practiced a sweeping method covering the whole toenail and the nail root also(about 6mm onto the skin). She soaked her feet in really warm water and then cut and filed her toenails down(length and thickness) until they just started to bleed. This makes the nail as thin as possible so that the light energy can heat and destroy the fungus. She did not use a girlie nail file either but a brand new 20cm doublecut file that you take burrs off a hunk of steel with. She wanted to use 5 different lasers to "make sure it works" We used my 405nm, 445nm, 532nm, 650nm & 808nm lasers that output from 400mW to 2700mW. The sweep rate was about 2mm to 5mm per second. Each nail was swept over multiple times for about 2 minutes duration per nail. She yelped more than once using that 2700mW 445nm because it got a bit hot! Of course 3 different safety goggles were used for the different wavelengths. All I gotta say is hot toe fungus stinks!!! :p What a girl will do to have pretty toe nails again :/
End result = all but one toe nail is perfect again :)

Using a 2700mW 445nm like that is very very reckless, it will pass through your skin and burn you inside first and can do permanent damage!

Alan

I dunno, man. Smells like quackery to me. Anecdotal evidence with no control group coupled with a likely post-hoc analysis wouldn't stand a chance in peer-review.

To anyone else reading, PLEASE don't point your class 4 laser at a friend hoping to cure them of some medical ailment.

Distance, speed and divergence/focus was considerably increased for the 445nm.
She used it as it was her toenails that were being heated to gauge the rate of travel. It worked so no rubbish there.

Lasers are making huge advances in arenas such as manufacturing, aviation, communications and medical. They are used to stimulate new cell growth for wound healing, rheumatoid arthritis, treating toe fungus, relief from herpes simplex type I & II, removing tattoos, regenerate cells, decrease pain, reduce inflammation, improve circulation, stimulate hair growth, remove brown and red spots on skin, joint and nerve pain therapy to name just a few.

As stated above "After much research, discussion and concern about cellular damage." She had two different consultations by doctors and gained much information first.
The one doctor went through all the motions and gave detailed information about the laser. He did everything but turn on the machine :/
Just saying it can be done with positive results but only after much, much research and direct information gained from a professional.
I can of course see your immediate concern of people burning themselves with a class IV laser, therefore I will do this.
!!!!****DISCLAIMER**** Do not do this to yourself or anyone else !!!!

Last edited: