Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Black Box - My first build.

First post here, so let me start with a big hello to everyone. This place rocks [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I've always loved lasers. For Christmas, I was given a 50mw DX-ish greenie. It was great, until it crapped out on me. The Amazon seller that we bought it from was kind enough to refund the money, so I decided to buy some components and do the DIY thing. I found LPF while searching for info on how to heal my stricken green pointer, and I was blown away by the wealth of information and the great deals to be had in the for sale section. Before I go on, there are some people that need to be recognized.

First, I'd like to thank Drew of Modwerx for supplying me with a phr-803t sled. Since this was my first go, I opted for the very reasonable $2 harvesting fee, and it was worth every penny. The diode came expertly pressed into an Aixiz module, with leads soldered on and shorted for ESD protection. Everything was well packaged, and I received my order very promptly. Above and beyond, sir. Thanks!

Next, thanks to Greg Stoner of StoneTek Electronics, for supplying me with a variable rkcstr driver when everybody else was sold out. My order shipped quickly, and was packed securely. Big thumbs up.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone here at LPF who has shared their knowledge and experiences.

Now, onto my build. I didn't have a lot of money to sink into this, so I had to make do with materials I already had lying around. I wanted a bloody big heatsink, preferably copper (almost twice the thermal conductivity of aluminum, and prettier too.) Unfortunately, I didn't have any barstock to use, so I had to improvise. I made a three layer coil of copper wire, soldered it solid, squared the ends, and bored it out for the module. I put it on the drill, and sanded down the outside for a nice, smooth cylinder. It didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped, but it's good enough for now. Most importantly, it works.

I scratch built my host out of kydex. I already had some sheets of the stuff laying around, left over from a flashlight holster I built. It's pretty simple to work with. Just score, break, sand and glue.

The switch is a cheap little momentary clicky type. I think I scavenged it out of one of those "Try Me!" packages of christmas lights.

The wiring is some rather nice stranded copper stuff that came out of the cord of a busted N64 controller. Very flexible and easy to work with.

I've got my driver set to about 150 ma, and it seems to be running just fine. The module warmed up quite quickly before I got it in the heatsink, but with everything put together now, I'd reckon the duty cycle to be fairly well unlimited. I don't have any way to measure the output at this time, unfortunately.

The beam is very easy to focus, and I can get it back to infinity in very short order. 405 is strange, though. At a distance, it looks like I have a perfect halo around my dot. At first, I thought I had an issue with focus, but as I got closer to the wall (I weighted to switch and left the laser on the table,) the halo disappeared. Strange. . . At night and in the dark, the beam is nicely visible, and the dot can be seen at least two blocks away. In daylight, you can barely see it. It looks like the afterimage you get after a camera flash, more than anything.

Yes, it burns quite well, too [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Of course, I can't link to the pictures yet, but they're stashed in my photobucket account. you can view them (and a bunch of inane crap ;)) if you search for my username - proud2deviate

If someone would link to the pics, I'd be very grateful.

Here you go....

DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1359.jpg

DSCF1367-1.jpg

Nicely done :)...so what is next then?

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
Here you go....

Nicely done :)...so what is next then?

Regards rog8811

I have an old Inova X1 that I'd like to use as a host, eventually. I'm thinking of a Flexdrive with a LOC red and a 14500 cell behind it. That'll be a ways off, though. Money's tight, right now. In the meantime, I'd like to build a driver for the red diode from the phr. Aixiz plastic lenses are fairly cheap, so I'll probably pick up a few of those so I can experiment with opening up the apertures and the aspheric lens mod. And of course there's all the optics in the sled to screw around with.

I want to study up and learn more about electronics. Reading a schematic and building a circuit is fine, but I'd like to be able to understand why things work the way they do.

is that sk8ter's module?

Nope. It's a standard Aixiz module that I bought from Drew along with the diode. He installed the diode, I installed the driver.

That's a big chunk of stainless steel that I picked up at a new and used shop ages ago. The guy was really nice, gave it to me for nothing:)

looks similar to my first BR build - I used a small radio shack project box.

where's the driver in the picture of your pointer? i see battery + switch + diode.. no driver (??)