Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

**UPDATED:- )__FEELER FOR DFWTEXLEM in Oct2019 cancelled ****THE LEM Thread......SELEM, TEXLEM..any LEM--

TY Paul--hope to someday meet you in person.

MYB I can make a LEM out your way. These meets can be every bit as addicting as the lasers are.

Without them I would have only met a very few. My 1st was 'life changing' only a few months later I hosted a pop up mini LEM.

Considering the very short notice we still had a great time- ~20 people --and 16 were just local friends as the date was not my choice.

'Evil300 had met me at SELEM and emailed that he & his Dad would be only an hour away and could come down to my area and bring a full color PJ --AND their good friend "platinum' (Jonathon) might be willing to fly in for the weekend-- and bring another PJ>--Most of my local freinds already had plans so very few were able to come BUT once they experienced a LEM were very willing to tell all about what an outstanding party can happen with Lasershow and fav music.

They told all my other friends about it and my next one (locally) would have many more people.

I always say any LEM with even just a few attending is a good and 'legal' LEM.

AND when you host one locally you no longer have any travel or lodging 'out of pocket' costs.

Here is just one example of what can happen at a LEM.
Adam (Evil300) placed 6 chairs in a triangle with one at the front and 3 at the wall with 2 in between.

He had his projector aimed to make a circle around the 6 chairs-- then he 'seated' the 6 people and gave instructions to stay seated at all times-- moving ONLY with eyes covered and him knowing someone was going to move. As long as we stayed inside the circle --we would be totally safe.==Most had the cameras or phone ready to take vids/pics of the view inside the 'Tunnel' of full color lasers w/ lots of fog.
He was able to 'dial back' the power to make this less risky.

He was using Quick Show where there are endless circles-and more - He had placed dozens of these on his QS Workspace--so cues were there and no chance of anyone getting lased. in the face.

Endless Circles-boxes- triangles etc- colors constantly changing / morphing-- and plenty of loud music. I promise you will like!!

No LEM should happen w/o experiencing this effect. .....of course it can be done alone.
Just be very careful. I suggest you wear your eye protection and remove ONLY when you are sure of your safety.

MORE COMING LATER---HAK

LEM Venue searching
I found (in 2012) a warehouse that was actually for sale.

I inquired with realtor about a weekend 'rental' in Freeport Tx.

The price was near perfect --only $150 and since I got the keys on a Thur- and did not need to return them until the next Wed. --so it was moar than just a weekend..they held my $200 check for deposit--in case we left it NOT cleaner than found.

Such places may be easier to find by driving around-- You can skip the ones looking unsuitable ---

too many homes too close-- (music)
no parking
no bathroom or shower.
too nice and thus likely too spendy
after that you can call the bigger realtors and ask about a place for a small 'trade show' w/ no more than 50 attendees. With possibility
a place we can use again in the future.

Former Churches or funeral homes have lots of pluses.
TEXLEM 2012 was in a perfect venue.
Sadly we were only able to rent it once --and ONLY because it was
booked solid except SuperBowl weekend.
I could go on and on about how awesome that 1925 brick church
was for our use.

Just on the outside chance we could meet again at "Urban 15''
maybe someone could work on that.. George and Miss Kat were great hosts. MYB if they were approached knowing we would want it every year... San Antonio is located ideally for all Texans.

No doubt all who attended would want to go back there.
At that time only two dorm rooms had beds. I gathered up a bunch of used air beds... I 'THOUGHT' none had leaks--Still not sure that Rod has forgiven me... he got a 'leaker' and very little sleep.. my bad....

For me Urban 15 is about 5 hrs drive (hauling a 16 foot mini camper,) and Plano/DFW is about the same. No big deal when you have driven to SELEM-- about 17 hrs. each way.

I hope to go DFW near Oct 1st-- and stay in the area as long as I can.

Kevin aka 'Gadget' has a shop with lathe and mill-I will bring a lot of Aluminum for all to use. So one or moar days we can go to Kevin's for hands-on help. Kevin lives very near where Rick and Tiffany live.

I will be asking Larry if he can host a seminar in DFW on Li-Ion batts and the danger involved. He has a nice place with a meeting room.
This is very important to all of us-- Hardly anyone has no lasers powered with 18650s.

The highlight at LEMs for some happens when they sit down at the 'controls' and take command of dozens of 1+W lasers... so if you had no real interest in full color PJs--that changes at a LEM.

Including the LEMs themselves.

Bottom line... w/o LEMs, at best, I would have by now met a few members in person--BUT since my first SELEM I have met more than 100 members, and their guests. And stayed at their homes....like family.

I consider Adam (buffo)to be the 'LEM Master'-- and there is no way we can ever thank him enough..... I have learned the most from him..

hak
bump me PLZ

LOOKING now that a big TEXLEM 2019 will not happen- I can only do so much-- at 72 I take everything slow..-- Hope to still make a trip to DFW and we WILL be meeting there at least one time.

Correction--Rick & Tiffany will be in Plano (close to DFW) on Oct 12 and many LPF members will be helping... "Bricks' was the first PF tribute band and considered to best band.

Catch them at House Of Blues in TX (Houston/Dallas and more)
Rick does a lot but his Laser Show is outstanding....I hope he will let me add some of my LUMIA
to the Plano TX free concert......

hak

rvrh3

LOOKING now that a big TEXLEM 2019 will not happen- I can only do so much-- at 72 I take everything slow..-- Hope to still make a trip to DFW and we WILL be meeting there at least one time.

Correction--Rick & Tiffany will be in Plano (close to DFW) on Oct 12 and many LPF members will be helping... "Bricks' was the first PF tribute band and considered to best band.

Catch them at House Of Blues in TX (Houston/Dallas and more)
Rick does a lot but his Laser Show is outstanding....I hope he will let me add some of my LUMIA
to the Plano TX free concert......

hak

Do I need to keep up with this thread to find out about the next meet? I'd love to be at the next one! I live in Houston, and willing to travel to DFW :)

Not a lot of response .. so -- A few from DFW will be joining me to attend LPF member Rick and lady Tiffany to see their free Pink Floyd Tribute concert and uber laser show in Plano NE of DFW about 30 min away-- Oct 12? its a Sat.-- ATM nothing else is planned-- but 6 or 7 members will be with me and something will be going on before and after--

PM me your contact info & I will keep you updated.. not on the forum as much as in the past--had to do away with my crappy dial-up modem from NetZero-- now >$26 a month for awful connection.. so I have moved my 'office' to the corner booth at McDee's where there is power.. their WiFi is not too bad & its free.

Most LEMs are organized at the 'other' forum... so if more interest (in DFWLEM)happens there may be a thread over there (we have other DFW members who will help organize if needed..)
A HOULEM needs to happen-- aside from you there are several more who will help organize.
CYA

Last edited:
Have not heard from very many-- I have not been well AND do not have the $$ to make a trip to DFW.
aside from the meet- I am sad to not be going to Plano to see free concert by LPF members Rick and Tiffany-- they are the oldest PF Tribute and 'Bricks in the wall'

I will keep an eye out for a venue near Houston....

BEFORE the 'change' this forum had social groups--so we had a place for each new TX membeir to join & get a message whenever something
new happens--
PM 'gadget' Kevin ----' he is in dallas and has been keeping track of TX members--ask to be put on the TXLEM mailing list

lots to be read about venues for LEM --thread is in Laser Show' section.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I swear I was born in the wrong country. Sorry, to hear that Len.

YEAH-- the PF Tribute Band has a concert tonight in Plano Tx ..not far from DFW. ($ it is a free one!)
"Bricks'' was the 1st PF band and from what I hear the very best.
Now that PF is no longer touring seeing Bricks is a fairly good choice--Rick does the laser show and his lady Tiffany is lead vocals and has the voice of an ANGLE!!
They perform a lot at 'House of Blues' in TX and IIRC La.\
Follow them on Fbook.
Meet them (Rick & Tiff) at SELEM. Great people!!!

hak

Last edited: