Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Testing my mA?

I just built my test load today and I cannot figure out how to test my o-like 405 driver.

This is the multimeter I have http://www.pricenetwork.ca/attachments/thumb_12317_1154551879.jpg .

I have built one laser already with a preset lava drive to 150 and I tested the drive with a case negative set up laser by connecting the DMM and completing the circuit and got a reading of 0.26 with the 10A setting which means my driver is running at 260mA on a PHR! That cannot be correct right?

I am a little confused about the settings on my multi-meter because from what I have read here your supposed to set it to V section around 200m and take your reading as 1mV=1mA. but when I connect my 0like driver and use the V section set to 200m, all I get is a reading between 0-3 when I turn the pot. and nothing using the 200mA setting.

Can someone give me some ideas of what I am doing wrong?

I have also tested all the diodes on my dummy load and they all work fine and are all connected fine(even with my nooby soldering skills) so is this just my driver? Are these dummy loads supposed to work for every type of driver?

EDIT: I may have just messed up my pot now by turning it WAY past 360*. Is that bad?

Edit: I never mentioned that I found my problem a while ago(8/25). It was my shitty radioshack battery and my pot is fine, all is good.

Last edited:

Stick with the dummy load. You know it's 1 ohm, so you can measure the value on that without actually hooking up your laser diode. Also the voltage measurements on most DMMs have greater range than the current ones, not to mention it won't blow a fuse on the DMM.

And for your pot turning: turning it over 360 isn't a good thing, but hopefully it hasn't done anything.

Stick with the dummy load. You know it's 1 ohm, so you can measure the value on that without actually hooking up your laser diode. Also the voltage measurements on most DMMs have greater range than the current ones, not to mention it won't blow a fuse on the DMM.

And for your pot turning: turning it over 360 isn't a good thing, but hopefully it hasn't done anything.

Well the problem I have is not being able to get any measurement across the resistor that make sense. I have my DMM at 200mV and the only readings I can get are between 0-3mV. I cant run a LD on 3mA so something is not making sense with this. I think it is just the driver that is messed up so now I got a rkcstr on the way and hopefully can get my new laser on track. I doubt I blew my DMM because I can get readings off my flex drive.

I was thinking about just saying f*** it and attaching it to a PHR just to see what happens, but its bed time so maybe tomorrow.

first off, are you sure you assembled your test load correctly? each of those loads have to be on the pcb correctly (look for a line in it to find your polarities)

also, do you have it set to 200m or 200?
if your DMM was set to 200, then 3 would actually be 300mA, which brings up the fact that if your DMM lowest setting is 200m, then anything over 200mA is just going to read as "1" on your DMM when it tries to go over the 200m mark. (atleast thats how mine works)

most DMM will have a 2000m setting, and this is what most of us use. this will show you the true reading in mA of your test load up to 2000mA.
-
also, what driver are you using? have you checked your batteries voltage?
check the voltage of the battery, ALSO check the drivers output before it it's the test load to make sure it's working properly.

.......... and don't use your Laser Diode as your test load or you will be
buying another LD...
Get your driver working with your Test Load FIRST...

Jerry

OK I have checked all you suggestions twice.

I have an 0-like 405nm driver.

The diode lines on the pcb have the stripes facing towards the neg like in the rkcstr pic. I have used the diode test feature on my DDL and they all appear to be working correctly and are connected. I can only get a reading on the diode test when testing >3 in a row but any three next to each other works. I'm not sure about the 1 ohm resistor or even if orientation matters with it? Google says resistors have no orientation.

My DMM is set to 200m and I have also tried the 2000m (volts not amps right?)

My battery is giving off 3.56v. And the input for the driver is 3-5v

My driver is giving off a voltage of 6.0 and it is rated to give off 4.8?

Last edited:
What if you have a dead phr diode? Can you use it as a test load and just complete the circuit with the DMM to set the driver?

i'm not 100% but i think i remember someone saying long ago that dead diodes actually can be used as test loads....not 100% sure though.

and damnit glutton, i tried for like 10 minutes and couldn't do that little finger trick ony our avatar. is that you by the way?

i'm not 100% but i think i remember someone saying long ago that dead diodes actually can be used as test loads....not 100% sure though.

and damnit glutton, i tried for like 10 minutes and couldn't do that little finger trick ony our avatar. is that you by the way?

No it isnt me, kinda looks like me tho. I stole it from craigslist joke forum.

I have spent a while trying to do that but I wouldn't be able to do it with a gun to my head...its hard.

It may not be possible to do at that speed(avatar), but an animated gif can be made to run at almost any speed right? OOps I spilled the beans. :D

^^ nah.. Greg Irwin is insane.. his stuff isn't sped up. lol.

you see the clip where he was on Jay Leno? yea... HOLY CRAP. :huh:

i know of him because i was into magic and manipulation for a short period of time.. and a lot of magicians and whatnot know of him and use his exercise techniques to build up strength and dexterity.. and speed too.. sure.. lol.

No it isnt me, kinda looks like me tho. I stole it from craigslist joke forum.

I have spent a while trying to do that but I wouldn't be able to do it with a gun to my head...its hard.

i know who that guy is, my teacher showed me and my class that movie.
its about an evil scientist who wants to be apart of a super evil gang thing lead by a horse (they call the horse 'bad horse' i think). tha mad scientist falls in love with a community activist lady (i think i havent seen this movie in a while) and a hero named captin hammer flurts wit her just to make the mad scientist angry. the rest of the class was cracking up when captin hammer says 'im captin hammer and my hammer is my dick!' at the end the evil scientist accedintly kills the girl he loves, captin hammer finally experiences pain for the 1st time and the scientist joins the bad horse gang.

Last edited:
i know who that guy is, my teacher showed me and my class that movie.
its about an evil scientist who wants to be apart of a super evil gang thing lead by a horse (they call the horse 'bad horse' i think). tha mad scientist falls in love with a community activist lady (i think i havent seen this movie in a while) and a hero named captin hammer flurts wit her just to make the mad scientist angry. the rest of the class was cranking up when captin hammer says 'im captin hammer and my hammer is my dick!' at the end the evil scientist accedintly kills the girl he loves, captin hammer finally experiences pain for the 1st time and the scientist joins the bad horse gang.

Seriously?

In regard to Greg Irwin's Finger Fitness demonstration, I wanted to let you know that all of the videos were shot in real time. I should know because I am Greg Irwin. The red and blue gloves were converted into an animated J-peg (or something like that) The speed of the red and blue hands will vary depending on your computer so they do not appear in real time. If you want to see more Finger Fitness demonstrations check our YouTube - GregIrwin2008's Channel GOOD LUCK with your HANDS!