Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Testing A140 Diode

So my diode arrived from daguin (thanks to him btw). And for some reason my idiotic parents opened my package and handled the diode before giving it to me. I assume it's broken now from ESD. How do I test the diode?

Put it in a heatsink, run the proper current through it, and see if it lights up?

These things are troopers. i have had mine over driven by 2A and it lives just fine also were the leads shorted if they were it was fine.
Honestly esd has never truck any of mine

I don't really know anything. I just put it back in the baggy immediately. A friend was going to help me with the installation. I'm going to take it up to the lab I work at tomorrow, ground myself, and see if anyone up there can help me.

I don't have a heatsink on hand to put it in...my friend says he has a "variable powersupply" though that he can test it with.

SO ----- As humid as it is here in Simmer, there isn't much static electricity to worry about. The 445 diode has to have low impedance and your diode is likely OK in spite of others' efforts.
Power it up and protect your eyes.

HMike

yeah as soon as i heard that humidity was a good thing i took the fan blowing on a bowl of rice out of my room and replaced it with a bowl of ice water.

Okay I think I'm going to just go ahead and put it in the host and all then and hope for the best.

Yep don't worry if the leads were soldered/shorted.
Do let us know how your build goes.
Just to be sure, you do have 445 laser glasses right?

Last edited:
If the leads were shorted it's fine, prob fine even if they wern't shorted.
If you do power it up with out a heatsink only do so for ONE second or less !!! unless you real don't like it :crackup:

midias

I tested mine with a 3.7V li-ion battery directly was very dim but I could see it come on.

I think Dave ships them without using heat- no soldering.
The bag may be the only protection. You are likely OK , however. Some / most diodes seem to be very tough for ESD.

I'd be much more worried about them touching the opening than ESD.

I wouldn't worry too much, your most likely problem will be how to clean the greasy fingerprints off the window. :crackup:

I wouldn't worry too much, your most likely problem will be how to clean the greasy fingerprints off the window. :crackup:

My thoughts exactly, that window will likely have finger oil all over it. That can really mess with the output.