Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

testing 12x diode

Hey guys,

I just received a 12x BDR-S06J diode from DTR and thought I should make some tests with it.... Since I don't have a LPM, I only tested the current and beam profile...

You have to excuse my English in the clips.. I got a stage fever :D:crackup:

I successfully reached 630mA but I noticed a little fading at 640mA so I stopped there... (I actually did another test but not on video)

it's running at constant current mode at 630mA at 6V off my bench PSU and I put a 5mF cap on the diode pins ...

using the 3-Element Glass Lens from Aixiz I think.. (DTR will confirm it I forgot :D)

The shape of the beam is pretty round... I love it!
Using the lens I got the outer ring splash effect and the wings which I must say they are not that visible as with 445nm or 650nm using the same type of lens...

It's actually pretty beautiful clean output... (except for the dust I got on my lens - > although it's visible in the video, I didn't see it in person :D

anyway If only I got a LPM!!! ... This should be my very next investment as I already own a few lasers which I am not sure about the exact output... and that hurts me ;(... it hurts a lot :D:D:D :crackup:

I will put this diode in a host sometime in the near future..
I am currently waiting for some parts...

Mine starts lasing at 10-20mA and it's burning even at 150mA quite nicely :)

Thought I should share this with you :beer: :shhh:

Attachments

• BR diode.jpg
    BR diode.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

DTR

Very nice glad you like them. Remember I do suggest 500mA for best life.;)

A 20mA threshold current is VERY impressive. I didn't know they got it so low on these..

jimdt7

^^^^ Buy this diode if you are planning on making a 10mW 405nm Laser :crackup:

Jim

Cad602

Instead of starting another thread I'll just pile on here...
I just finished putting together a 12x 405 w/flexdrive V5 & powered by a Panasonic 18650 from LarryDFW - I was hoping to get 400mA but it wouldn't go any higher than 310mA.
I'm getting 353mW steady output from the 12x I got from The Man (DTR!)...and I'm starting to think I could have soldered more blobs onto the flexdrive for the higher current range..
Well, I have one more 12x - and I'll run this one a little hotter!
DTR says 500mA is fine and I'm going for it. I guess my 353 should be reliable for a long time right?

cad602
Always lurking!

yeah 310mA should run for a long time :)

I will try mine at 600mA and see how long it will last! :D

ok I just killed mine at 580mA continuous use for 2 minutes!!!!!!!! F******** :cryyy::cryyy::cryyy:

It didn't go LED at first... it just started to flicker really strange..
I hooked it up to my bench supply and it was draining 500mA at 1.3V???? WTF :D it flickered a little more then I killed it with a twist of current at 1 amp then 2 amps and it flashed once and died..... R.I.P. :cryyy:

I should have listened to dtr and put it at 500mA....
well $50 bucks down the drain...

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeext!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

I'm not sure I understand...did you kill it at 580 or somewhere between 1 and 2 amps? If somewhere between 1-2 then...wow, i didn't know you could even consider going that hard with them. Mine is set at 500 and I am getting right at 600mw with a regular lens...haven't measured it Yet with the G-2...I was thinking of trying to drive one harder, maybe to 600 but I think I will leave it alone now...

I really enjoyed the gradual increase and focus clips. It inspires me to purchase one of those variable power source deals.

I'm not sure I understand...did you kill it at 580 or somewhere between 1 and 2 amps? If somewhere between 1-2 then...wow, i didn't know you could even consider going that hard with them. Mine is set at 500 and I am getting right at 600mw with a regular lens...haven't measured it Yet with the G-2...I was thinking of trying to drive one harder, maybe to 600 but I think I will leave it alone now...

Yes I killed it at 580mA (sorta) It still worked but it was flickering and not steady at all... I first thought it was my driver getting out of regulation... But I hooked it up to my test load it was steady as hell.

So I took the diode off and hooked it up to the bench supply. I juiced it 500mA or somewhere there BUT the voltage wasn't right.. It should have been closed to 6V but it only drew about a volt and half. (1.5V) :D

Flickering, not steady all kinds of things which I considered DEAD ... It wasn't even LED yet but it was surely damaged... :D

So I got the current up to see when it will die completely ... At higher currents it didn't lase at all but it was still drawing current .... It made a big flash at around 2 amps I can't remember correctly and that probably burned all the connections to the die.. :D so now it is completely dead..

This is my first BR diode to kill (the very first one I owned :D:D)
This is my second high power diode to kill (first one was 445nm by clumsy press fitting (DOH))

I have also killed many low power reds and infrareds :D:D
I am on a killin' spree :D:gun::banghead:

next one I will run at 500mA if it dies.. I will smash it with a hammer to the ground :D:D:D:D:D:crackup:

Last edited: