Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Test Loads?

Obviously a test load means testing a driver before its connected up to a diode so you can make sure it wont kill it but what am I supposed to test it with? Obviously to adjust the pot I will probably need a multimeter or something so I can see what its doing but what can I test it on once it has been adjusted?

Or do I have the complete wrong end of the stick here?

Hey lamborgini8... yes you have the right end of the stick..

To be able to adjust anything on your driver you will need some feedback as to the
results of your adjustments...

So... you will at least need a Multimeter... with out at least a Multimeter there is no
way you would know what you're doing while adjusting anything... ;)

Jerry

lasersbee said:
Hey lamborgini8... yes you have the right end of the stick..

To be able to adjust anything on your driver you will need some feedback as to the
results of your adjustments...

So... you will at least need a Multimeter... with out at least a Multimeter there is no
way you would know what you're doing while adjusting anything... ;)

Jerry

Ok that's good then.

I will be using the FlexDrive so I am guessing I can connect some good batteries up to the right end and connect the multimeter to the two ends that will be connected to the laser?

There is a way of doing this correctly without Blowing your Laser Diode...
I suggest you do a forum search and read the posts on the test procedures
for your type of Driver... :)

daguin

Leave "flexdrive" out of the search string. Test loads are not specific to the driver. Also search "dummy load"

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
Leave "flexdrive" out of the search string.  Test loads are not specific to the driver.  Also search "dummy load"

Peace,
dave

Hey lamborgini8,
this is the guy that knows.............. ;)

daguin said:
Leave "flexdrive" out of the search string.  Test loads are not specific to the driver.  Also search "dummy load"

Peace,
dave

Thanks mate.

So quickly scanning over I can do what I said above but I also need the driver to be powering something to give me a accurate read on the multimeter? So in theory I can stick a LED on the driver and read the output by putting the multimeter on the LED pins so its in parallel?

hey I am wondering the same thing...I have a DMM but do I need a test load? Or could I just put the DMM probes onto the rkcstr driver? The first laser I built I didn't use a DMM I just adjusted the pot until the diode shone brightly...by for this next laser I'm building could I do what I said above? And what current should I run it at? And(lol last question) how do I empty he capacitor/like short circuit the driver so it doesn't empty it onto my diode ?

Thanks

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=daguin link=1226861064/0#5 date=1226863523]Leave "flexdrive" out of the search string.  Test loads are not specific to the driver.  Also search "dummy load"

Peace,
dave

Thanks mate.

So quickly scanning over I can do what I said above but I also need the driver to be powering something to give me a accurate read on the multimeter? So in theory I can stick a LED on the driver and read the output by putting the multimeter on the LED pins so its in parallel?[/quote]

Yes the driver must be loaded to be able to adjust the current correctly... :eek:

You need to build a Dummy Load with a 1 Ohm resistor in series... specific for the type of Laser diode
you will be using...
Then you check the voltage across the 1 Ohm resistor and then 1mV=1mA of driver output current. :cool: