Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Test if diode is working?

Hey there I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I had a question on a diode I just got. I am making a violet laser using a bdr-209 diode and I kinda dropped in when I took it out of the packaging. It fell maybe four feet and hit the ground. I hoped it wasn't damaged but when I hooked it up to the driver and power supply it wouldn't turn on. I looked inside the can as best as I could and it didn't seem as if anything was broken, but I couldn't see it that well even with a magnifying lens. I remember my grandfather telling me something about using my meter to check ohms of resistance on the diode but I can't remember to well.

Any help you could give me is greatly appreciated :)

94Z28

Hey there I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I had a question on a diode I just got. I am making a violet laser using a bdr-209 diode and I kinda dropped in when I took it out of the packaging. It fell maybe four feet and hit the ground. I hoped it wasn't damaged but when I hooked it up to the driver and power supply it wouldn't turn on. I looked inside the can as best as I could and it didn't seem as if anything was broken, but I couldn't see it that well even with a magnifying lens. I remember my grandfather telling me something about using my meter to check ohms of resistance on the diode but I can't remember to well.

Any help you could give me is greatly appreciated :)

Do you have a dummy load to test driver output current? If driver is output correct current, and voltage is correct on input side (batteries are good) then it would probably be toast =(

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/how-make-selectable-dummy-load-very-depth-64585.html

Last edited:
Do you have a dummy load to test driver output current? If driver is output correct current, and voltage is correct on input side (batteries are good) then it would probably be toast =(

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/how-make-selectable-dummy-load-very-depth-64585.html

I don't have a test load but I got the driver from DTR so I assume it would be pretty good. I'll look into getting a test load though, because I'll probably need one for future experiments anyways :p

Either that or you have the diode connected to the driver incorrectly. :p

I checked the pin-out and it should be good. Blah. :cryyy:

diachi

I don't have a test load but I got the driver from DTR so I assume it would be pretty good. I'll look into getting a test load though, because I'll probably need one for future experiments anyways :p

I checked the pin-out and it should be good. Blah. :cryyy:

You can build a dummy load rather easy - bunch of silicon rectifier diodes (0.7V drop/diode, pick however many you need to get close to your LDs voltage drop) and a 1Ω resistor. Need to pick diodes/resistors with the correct ratings for the maximum current you plan on testing of course. You wouldn't test a driver set to 5A using a bunch of 1N4001s... :D

You can build a dummy load rather easy - bunch of silicon rectifier diodes (0.7V drop/diode, pick however many you need to get close to your LDs voltage drop) and a 1Ω resistor. Need to pick diodes/resistors with the correct ratings for the maximum current you plan on testing of course. You wouldn't test a driver set to 5A using a bunch of 1N4001s... :D

Yeah I'll probably have to go get some parts then :confused:

Soooooo I didn't even do anything to it but I decided to give it one last go and I hooked it back up to the power supply... Aaaaaand it worked :thinking:

Whatever happened I'm happy anyways. Thanks for your advice anyways guys :)

Last edited:

diachi

Soooooo I didn't even do anything to it but I decided to give it one last go and I hooked it back up to the power supply... Aaaaaand it worked :thinking:

Whatever happened I'm happy anyways. Thanks for your advice anyways guys :)

Loose connection somewhere maybe? Either way - glad to hear you got it working! :D

Loose connection somewhere maybe? Either way - glad to hear you got it working! :D

Maybe but I don't know. I had it soldered together and the ends that were connected to the driver were hooked up to alligator clips. Oh well whatever it was it went away.

Last edited:
hi,
If your going to build you need equipment LPM, PSU , DMM, test load ....... takes the W out of work you can never have enough equipment for this hobby..It pays off buddy

Rich:)

hi,
If your going to build you need equipment LPM, PSU , DMM, test load ....... takes the W out of work you can never have enough equipment for this hobby..It pays off buddy

Rich:)

Yeah. I'd really like to have a lot of this stuff but I'm still kind of young, so my cash income isn't very substantial, yet. I'm moving down to Southern Virginia soon to start schooling/work, so I should be making enough money then to save up and afford some things. I'm gonna aim for an LPM and test load first. Then I'll work on the other stuff.

I have some big plans for my laser collection:D
Just gotta save up first :)