Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tesla Coils / High Voltage Stuff

This thread is for discussing any HV projects that forum members may have or want to know info about. It was started in response to this query from another thread.

Moderator said:
Wow, I just say this, cool, I have two tesla coils myself. I build one out of a kit from amazing1.com . The other I got at a garage sale, believe it or not. What coils do you have?

Haha, cool to find out there are other TC-philes on the forum. I have built several over the years, but currently have only one coil that has gone through several changes, and it's working pretty good now. It runs on two paralleled 12KV 120mA transformers and can make a 4 foot spark. I take it outside once in a great while and fire it up for friends. Here are a couple of pics, I wish I had more. I need to get a digital camera!

I am working on a small table-top "mini" coil, but it's not high in the priority list right now.

For scale reference, the toroid top terminal in this pic is 6"x24".

Attachments

• Ragnaroks-TC.jpg
    Ragnaroks-TC.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 114

Hmm, I can't seem to post more than one pic per post. :-?

The blower unit mounted on the series spark gap is one that I originally built for my argon ion laser, which is on the fritz - I don't know when it will get fixed :(

Attachments

• Ragnaroks_TC_Nov2000.JPG
    Ragnaroks_TC_Nov2000.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 167
S

SenKat

VERY nice !  I would like to know if anyone has any "quick and dirty" links to a how-to for a Van-DeGraff generator ?  Some links were posted earlier, but some are just dang cryptic...I have a 4" Stainless Steel ball just waiting to be energized ! (Another present to my Daughter's Science Teacher if I can make it work)

S

SenKat

WOW !  I saw MANY displays similiar, but nowhere near as spectacular as that one during all the Hurricane chasing I did for my job a few years ago....Driving through Orlando, FLorida diuring some of the big storms, watching the substations, and transformers reach for the sky was truly awe-inspiring !

cool coil

closest I ever came was making a jacobs ladder from an oil heater trasformer and some coat hangers ;D