Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Technical Question - 555 nm

If the eye has a precieved intensity of 1.0 @ 555 nm, why are most green lasers outputting a wavelength of 532 nm?

Well, we don't have the technology... yet.

Diodes pump out specific wavelengths depending on the material use, and green DPSS lasers use crystals to convert IR into 532nm.

Sure, it would be great to have green pointers at 555nm, but until we find a new type of laser, it's not going to happen.

We don't designate wavelengths, materials in the laser do, and so far there aren't a lot of choices we have.

Cheers! :beer:

Soren

Because 532nm is cheap and easy. The closest we have (556nm) requires a bunch of fancy DPSS shenanigans, and thus is prohibitively expensive.

556nm handheld here.

Last edited:
Its nothing really fancy, its all how DPSS works. How it works is a coating reflects IR light back and forth inside a crystal until the crystal doubles the frequency, where the coating no longer works for the output color. The coating for 556nm isn't efficient in low powers, nor is it easy to make IIRC... typically 556nm lasers are extremely high powers (1W+) and are only used in labs...

Sowee7

Well, we don't have the technology... yet.

Diodes pump out specific wavelengths depending on the material use, and green DPSS lasers use crystals to convert IR into 532nm.

Sure, it would be great to have green pointers at 555nm, but until we find a new type of laser, it's not going to happen.

We don't designate wavelengths, materials in the laser do, and so far there aren't a lot of choices we have.

Cheers! 🍺
I have a 25mw 555nm dpss laser

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You know something... I think I'm ok with necro posting. You ever just hate something because everyone else hates it? I don't think it really bothers me tbh but I won't do it out of respect for others