Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tanerite

I know many of the members of LPF has and use firearms for fun... Has any one had any fun with Tanerite yet and if so did you take any videos.. My bosses brother bought a old camper and a 50 bmg filled the thing up with ten lbs of tanerite and blew the wholly Fudge out of it... Sorry no video I was not there at the moment of destruction. I have seen friends blowing stuff up with tanerite or similar shock impact binary explosives... while they are fun and legal to own they are inherently dangerous in the hands of Idiots.. Just like any thing else we do in life there is always someone that is a moron and ruin the fun for the rest of us. There is talk in washington state about banning tanerite or similar binary explosives for the sake of public health.. I think that is a friggin cop out and they just are worried some one will buy a ton of the stuff and do some domestic terrorism bull S**T but hey what do I know I just a dumb redneck from the other side of the state that works in farming... Us dumb farmers are the cause of the ban.. bunch of huewy if you ask me.. any way just wanted to see if any others in LPF like shooting Tannerite bombs like me and if so post the vids

SRESAL

It would be hard to ban ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder... maybe make it illegal to sell them over the counter as kits though.

Tannerite is slightly different, but has the same effect.

If you like that, DNT and Ammonium Perchlorate gives a nice boom too. Both perfectly legal to own/buy/possess. AP and Mg/Al too.

Believe it or not, loud booms get old after awhile... but not for me yet. :D

Dr Evil great posts love stuff that blows the heck up

Last edited:
Daniel Tanner is a personal friend of mine we have shot many firework shows together over the years and I have been to his house many times
we are in the same fireworks club The Oregon Sky Jewelers and I can tell you he is not worried about any banning of Tanerite :yh:

Last edited:
I used a 405nm laser in the July 4th video. That made it real easy to see the bright orange label in the dark.

I might have another video up soon.

Good idea the 405, you got any plans for 25 pounds, get some pictures ;)

I used a 405nm laser in the July 4th video. That made it real easy to see the bright orange label in the dark.

I might have another video up soon.

FP -- Did I read correctly that Tannerite is just a big water Steam
blast? It says no flame to ignite other materials. I have yet to try
mine !!!
HMike

tannerite is a binary shock impact explosive and is fun to shoot but watch out it does pack a wallop a fool would get to close.. need a good round to my favorite is 22-250 or 223 or 50 if you have it. has to exceed 1200 fps in order to make it go BOOM! love the stuff

I went looking online and found at least a dozen states beside washington are trying to get bills passed banning any form of shock impact explosive.. You would need a federal explosive licence to even use it.. It is because of morons that use a 45kg to take out a dump truck and send a near by nuclear power plant in to lock down... Idiots

Last edited:
Trouble is, I don't have a safe place here to shoot my 50.......
1200 Fps isn't hard to achieve.
HMike

no its not and fifties are cool just hard to find a safe place as you stated to shoot the big Ba$&*ds... I want one but not at the cost of three buck a round forget it stick with my 06

I have never fired a Factory round in my 50. Too much $.
I have an RCBS press and dies so I shoot handloads. 230 gr
of powder is still a BOOM. I always want to know where that
slug stopped!
Much more than my 458 Win Mags !!!
HMike

yea i bet... ? why do you have a .458 win mag are you trying to shoot elephants or some thing! that almost of why most people want a 50bmg I rather shoot the .50 bmg than that .458 win mag ouch.. I have shot lots of large caliber rifles but that one and .460 and .338 lupa rounds always left a mark.. a friend has a .600 nitro express and I never had the guts to shoot that darn thing!

I have my 458's to discourage elephants from browsing in my wife's garden. Those big critters know to stay away !!!! I got the first 458 expecting the power I get with my 50 but the 458 is still an ass kicker. I used to let people at the range try it and half of them didn't listen to me and got bruised.......
You are right, the HEAVY 50 with muzzle break is fun to shoot and my 460 Smith scares most who are faint of heart !!!! I'm a skinny old fart but I know how to handle recoil. HELL, I'd try the 600 NE ---- once ............
HMike

Yea the pesky elephants... yea i got smacked by a 510 nitro when i was 17 and that was it for any thing over .500 so I quit shooting those big guns... I was given the chance when i was in the guard. ARNG to shoot a 20mm lahti and that thing had less recoil than most .50s I have played with.. Nothing like a Ma Duce to play with shoot thousand of rounds threw those. carried a m -240 b and m- 249 both fun... m-107 sniper and m-4 those were my constant companions. I was a gunner on a Bradly Infantry Fighting Vechical for a bit and shot couple ten thousand rounds of 25mm in he ,tpt , TpR
The one gun I have never played with and want to is that Smith BFR .500 sounds like fun to me

I've never been in the military so those arms you mention are outside
of my experience. I have fired the 500 Smith and I like the 460 better
because of the higher velocity and it can shoot 45 Long Colt!!! Recoil is
near same.
I was a western action shooter for about 10 years. Hemlock Mike

9561-hmike.jpg

HMike

Last edited: