Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Taking apart wicked lasers old school evolution.

Sponge

Has anyone tried taking apart the old school evolution that WL used to sell? I have a lower powered one lying around, and I thought it would make a sweet host.

Last edited:

Re: Taking apart wicked lasers evolution.

Take a few pics, I dont remember the exact model design, how old are you talking?

Sponge

About 3 years? I can't for the life of me figure out how to take this apart.

DSC01650.jpg

Last edited:

Sponge

Surely at least one person has this laser... and has attempted to take it apart right?

Is there a noticeable indentation near the aperture end? Like just above the warning label? If so, try running a razor blade (carefully) around it a bunch of times, it's how you take apart the Core, so it might be the same for the Evolution. Good luck and watch your fingers.

Sponge

Is there a noticeable indentation near the aperture end? Like just above the warning label? If so, try running a razor blade (carefully) around it a bunch of times, it's how you take apart the Core, so it might be the same for the Evolution. Good luck and watch your fingers.

Heh.. Actually, it screws off!

DSC01660.jpg

It's to protect the lens from dust. I don't know about that threaded brass tube inside, I can't tell if the module is screwed into that or not. Or maybe it's just used so the aperture end can screw into the host.

From the looks of it the module may just be press fit in there.
You could *carefully* try pushing it out from the back (battery end) with a pencil (eraser end) or similar.
Don't try to force it too hard though and snap the driver :p

You can probably pull the module out from the front if you have something that will thread into the module.
If you have any other green laser parts laying around, see if one of the pieces of the module matches the threads. You can then stick that in a vice and pull the body of the laser until it comes out.
Pushing it out the back is usually not a good idea.
The threads on the battery cap will be tighter than the rest of the laser, and the battery compartment is most likely a smaller inner diameter. It may get more stuck if you push it that way.
Usually the modules are installed from the aperture end.
Edit: reread HS's post.
Pushing from the back could work, but you will need to be careful not to smash the driver. Press fit's are usually pretty tight. You will need a lot of force.

This makes me want an old school Evo. I always liked the case.

Last edited:
From the looks of it the module may just be press fit in there.
You could *carefully* try pushing it out from the back (battery end) with a pencil (eraser end) or similar.
Don't try to force it too hard though and snap the driver :p

I second this

HumanSym--- Did your attempt to push a module out ever work with your attempts? Your method puts MAX pressure on the driver board. This may crush everything in there. What did you try the pencil method on?
I use a pin set on the diode mount and move it caefully around.

HMike

Sponge

If you have any other green laser parts laying around, see if one of the pieces of the module matches the threads. You can then stick that in a vice and pull the body of the laser until it comes out.

What exactly do you mean by this?

The only other thing I have in my possession to thread into the aperture is the front part that screws off.

The driver is pretty thin to be pushing from the battery compartment, I'm almost sure I'd crush the driver.

Also, did you read my PM RA_pierce?