Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Take batteries out of laser when not using it?

Haha this is probably the stupidest question but should you take the batteries out of a laser when not using it? For some reason I always do that.

Absolutely! With (thank god) a ebay pointer, I somehow clicked it on while storing it. When I took it out the lens was so melted it looked like a green flashlight. Imagine if it was a 350$ 3w+. Burnt down house? Or somehow a kid get hold of it and now you're responsible for a blind or burned child.

Keep that behavior! Treat your laser like a gun: Do not store it with ammunition in it.

That protects you and people who don't know that's its dangerous from accidents!

BTW another reason is maybe that the batteries discharge a little bit faster if you keep them in your laser.

Yes you should.

Not only is it a safe thing to do, but It also keeps the batteries charged longer. If you keep them in, the power will slowly drain out and you will find yourself with dead batteries :(

And if any battery corrosion is passed to the laser it will obviously damage it. I personally can't sleep if batteries are in. Feels like I left the oven on .

SKeeZ

Keep that behavior! Treat your laser like a gun: Do not store it with ammunition in it.

That protects you and people who don't know that's its dangerous from accidents!

BTW another reason is maybe that the batteries discharge a little bit faster if you keep them in your laser.

You nailed it! any laser Is a gun in some sense. they are a descent non lethal weapon if it comes down to it (and its all you have), blind your attacker. But thats beyond the point. not only that but it does drain you batteries, slowly.

Great habit- I dont know about you all.. but I played with daddy's guns every chance i got- so like firearms there is NO such thing and being TOO safe +4 to you sir!

btw if your package of lasers is crossing borders its a good idea to leave the batts out of the box altogether. Send them along or buy them locally.

Alright cool haha :), thanks guys, now I know my habit of doing that isn't for nothing. :D

Absolutely! With (thank god) a ebay pointer, I somehow clicked it on while storing it. When I took it out the lens was so melted it looked like a green flashlight. Imagine if it was a 350$ 3w+. Burnt down house? Or somehow a kid get hold of it and now you're responsible for a blind or burned child.
yes take batteries out except maybe the one or two your using that afternoon or evening etc i have no young children my wife now's about my lasers etc and i keep them in a safe place. But almost always take them out after a session of using them, the batteries also gradually go flat and then over time leak and start to corrode your laser, this will take time obviously ...short answer take them out as a habit for safety.

ARG

Alkalines can leak and destroy your laser. Never leave them in :p