Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Switching Driver for 445nm / 405nm

I would like your opinion on this
Power Buck 2A Switching Driver for 445nm / 405nm Laser Diode

Power Buck 2A Switching Driver for 445nm / 405nm Laser Diode

Power Buck Laser Driver is a PWM mode switching drivers, which can get a good current control accuracy and high overall efficiency. Therefore it will save 30~40% more power compare to traditional linear driver. The soldering pad position is specially designed for driving 445nm and 405nm laser diode ( laser diode with the same pin configuration such as 638nm diode can also be used ). Built in visable soft start function will let the laser diode turn on from dim to bright in 1-2 seconds. This will give the user adaptation time for their eyes to the laser beam. This will also provide enough reaction time for the user to close the eyes in case the beam is reflected.
Model PBv1
Input Voltage: 7.4v-8.4v ( 2 x li-ion batteries )
Output Current: 200mA~2A
Dimensions: 10mm×20mm
Working Principle : Switching Control
Warranty: Not Applicable

Important Features for LAZERER'S Power Buck V1:

Up to 96% High Effeciency
Up to 5% Output Current Accuracy
Internal Soft Start ( Diode Protection )
Visable Soft Start ( User Protection )
Mosfet Polarity Protection
Open Circuit Protection
Short Circuit Protection

That's a pretty good price for a 2A buck driver! I need to get one of those on a scope!

EDIT: I just ordered a couple to test. 500mA and 2,000mA.

Last edited:
That's pretty damn good! Pretty big though :\ Won't fit inside any Aixiz modules. Won't even fit in a C6 host.

I'm curious as to how they get a built in ~2 second soft-start though.... Typically, for that you would need huge capacitors, unless it's a feature programmed into the IC.

Last edited:
That's pretty damn good! Pretty big though :\ Won't fit inside any Aixiz modules. Won't even fit in a C6 host.

I'm curious as to how they get a built in ~2 second soft-start though.... Typically, for that you would need huge capacitors, unless it's a feature programmed into the IC.

I didn't catch the size. It looks like they waste a lot of space though. Seems like it could be shrunk a lot.

I bet the soft start is in the IC. It will be interesting to look at. On a large host, you could save a lot with that driver if it was any good.

Lol, not at that size it won't. I'm also definitely interested in seeing it on a scope. I'm looking at it from a skeptical angle right now.

Ok. So far I've had one if these sitting on a test load set for blue running at 7v it pushing .975mA and not at all getting hot just warm. Set at 8.4 just slightly warmer nothing that u can't hold your finger on.

I'm going to try the 1.2A so far I'm liking these. We might have something here... Just wish it had a pot.
I might wanna mention they arrived in 1 week.

Edit: ok so I had the 1.8mA model instead of the 1.2 while it does get hot and will go into thermal shutdown it takes at least 3 minutes running at the 8.4 input level.

Mr. Steel will have to scope these but I'm liking these so far.
Your going to have to do case positive builds if you using a spring or jumper modifier, but out of all the Chinese driver I've used and dealt with I'm a liking these:0

Edit2: ok I just paralleled 2 of these and got 2.446A out of them running at the 8.4v... I proceeded to run the voltage up to 10v and up to 3.5A they where just starting to really heat up over 2 min. run time. Took them to 12v and the light went off on the test load:(... It also started to smell hot. I reset the PSU reran the test. They survived:). 12v 3.5A for a second. So far 10v at 3.1A for 4 min. They where hot,not very, no heatsinking. I had to stop to let the test load take a breather. I'm very impressed.

Last edited:
Err. Question: is the input current dropping as you increase the voltage? Because increasing input voltage should not significantly (within about 5%) change the operating temperature of the chip, if this is a true buck driver.

Yes, but I can only read that measurement in every hundredth. I need to get a second DDM. I could only read from the PSU.

Point is, with 8.4V in, you should only be sending in like 500mA to get 900mA out, or something along those lines. Should be a significant difference.

Basically I hear that and I wrote this fairly long post on my phone no less and had it all measured out swapping cables like mad. Well when I posted it there was that big ole BRB maintenace window.

So with 8.4v in 4.6v out it was measuring 700mA in and 974mA out. Best I can remember. I try fresh tomm.

If that's the case (the numbers you gave me), I wouldn't suggest anyone use this who is looking for an efficient driver :p More efficient than an LM317 driver, certainly, but even less efficient than boost drivers. Looks like this is putting out ~76% efficiency... which is really crappy.

Remember now that I was using rounded numbers as to memory and also my post with the hard numbers poof, gone so it is what it is for now. I might want to mention also that those numbers where taken using the blue setting on pyros test load. Have a good night.

Measure the voltage you are getting out of it, the current you are getting out of it, the voltage going into it, and the current going into it with your test load. Get accurate results and we can calculate efficiency well :D

Ya I did... I'll do it again tomm. It's late here. I posted that during a maintenance run and lost it. I'll do it again tomm.