Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sweden proposes banning pointers >1 mW; asking for comments by Oct 4 2013

Sweden’s national government has proposed banning “powerful laser pointers,” defined as handheld Class 3R, 3B and 4 lasers. This would make it illegal from November 1 2013 to import, produce, acquire, possess, use, transfer or lease any handheld laser 1 mW and above, without a permit. Swedes who currently own laser pointers 1 mW and above could not possess them after December 31 2013.

The Swedish government invites comments on the proposal, EU notification text, number 2013/0365/S-X00M. This can be done up until October 4 2013 by anyone, whether a national of Sweden or not. At the EU notification link, there are additional links to obtain language-specific versions of the proposal; for example, the English draft text of the proposed laser pointer ban.

The email addresses for comments, as well as excerpts from the notification text and the English draft text of the ban, are at a story at LaserPointerSafety.com: http://www.laserpointersafety.com/news/news/other-news_files/4bf63f60162fdfd096c0b2d39eeb02d7-330.php

As much as persons here on the forum might like to discuss it amongst yourselves, the Swedish and EU authorities are not going to read your posts.

So if you have something important you'd like to tell a government that's about to ban possession of handheld lasers above 1 mW, please send it to the two email addresses listed at the LaserPointerSafety.com story.

This is incredibly serious. Slippery slope argument, all that.

I just wrote a ~2 page long email to both email addresses, giving my concerns. I hope others will do the same.

Spooky

First they came for the 5W pointer and I did not speak out because I have not a 5W pointer.

Then they came for the 2W pointers and I did not speak out because I have not a 2W pointer.

Then they came for the 5mW pointer and I did not speak out because I have not a 5mW pointer.

Then they came for all of my lasers and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Paraphrased to suit from a work by Pastor Niemoller

Another Nanny government gets lasers in its sights pardon the pun sigh. what can you say that hasn't been said before, you can buy a hand gun in the US but you cant have a 5mw and up laser SMH there really needs a reality check to be made but how petitions :wtf:

pointless law ,, i seriously cant understand how these big govs, companies , groups ect really have no sense on how the world works and how to do their own job,,, yup... microsoft, the business and tech geniuses of our time, how well did you bs xbox always online and no used games work out in saving you all that money from the dreaded pirates? oh US gov, how well did the prohibition work again? banning 5mw lasers in the us,,, sure did stop all those laser plane crimes didnt it..

really brainless morons,

Last edited:
The core issue here, is where do you draw the line?

Objectively kitchen knives are a whole lot more dangerous. Ban those too?

My main argument exactly, IE. I gave a rather extensive list of things more dangerous. In addition to citing the fact that NO laser-related plane accidents have ever been recorded makes for a good argument.

My main argument exactly, IE. I gave a rather extensive list of things more dangerous. In addition to citing the fact that NO laser-related plane accidents have ever been recorded makes for a good argument.

I'm also concerned about the mere possession of a laser being an issue. Even here, while we're technically limited to 5mW, simply having a laser is not yet a crime.

There is also no defined process for obtaining a license to own, and not statement as to whether it will be a "may issue" license, or a "will issue" license.

Last edited:
It bothers me too. I guess the only thing we can do is make sure many people write letters.

Unfortunately not too many LPF members from Sweeden.

Anyone want to go the extra mile and see if there is a petition we can sign, or create a petition?

The proposed change is open to comments from anyone, Swedish nationals or not.

Spooky

While I'm not a big fan of the UK's resident nut case David Icke one thing he is often right about is

Problem

Reaction

Solution

Problem:

Those big scary lasers that those (Insert minority group that have no real effect on the national vote here) have are posing a threat to aircraft, ships, children, cats, dogs, all forms of life etc, if you want proof just read your daily drivel newspaper or watch your chosen government mouthpiece on a TV channel of your choice. (quick Fred go release a story to the press that some kid has almost shot down the ISS with a POS $2 laser pointer)

Reaction:

OMG we are all gonna die, I read in my local "newspaper" (substitute "newspaper" for badly referenced BS chip paper) that these things are a danger to all of us and we will all be blind in 10 years if we don't act now!!

Solution:

"Don't worry I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

"We are introducing legislation to ban anything brighter than a 1 watt 20 year old lightbulb so don't worry people we have managed to avert this disaster facing all of you"

"You can all go back to your mundane lives of no fun now knowing we have saved you all from this devious plan"

"Thank you all for your understanding and don't forget to vote for the party that saved your eyesight in the next election"

"BIG Smile" and "Have a nice day"

--------------

The government are happy, they get the votes,

The people are happy, they have all been saved from a threat that never actually existed,

The laser owners are all pissed off but hey, who cares their votes aren't a big enough percentile to matter anyway.

I've seen this too many times over my life to get upset about it, from 1906 onward UK gun laws became stricter and stricter,to now we have some of the strictest gun laws in the world (outside of Japan I believe)

Guess what?

Armed crime has increased EVERY year since 1906 at ABOVE population increment levels.

Like I said, "When they came for the jews"

best wishes

Dave

Spooky

The jews fought tooth & nail, Israel was created, and the population there is armed. And I'm not talking about semi auto handguns either.

Of course IE, I was simply referring to the fact if laser owners as a group don't act when Sweden is threatened then we may be next. I of course meant no insult to the good people of Israel or of the Jewish faith.

best wishes

Dave

Oh I didn't think you meant any offense. I just thought it was interesting reference given a that group of people got so fed up with persecution, and how things were going, that they carved out a piece land for themselves, and it is now one of the most armed spots in the world.

Unfortunately I don't think the number of people that are laser hobbyists is great enough to swing any vote.

Last edited: