Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Swapping lasers in projector to higher power?

I was thinking of buying the Artic S3 laser that supposedly puts out 1 watt of power. Then, I was thinking about buying a decent DMX or ILDA controlled cheap, low powered laser, and swapping the lasers inside with the more powerful one...

Would that be possible? Other than cooling factors (obv. things) what would I really have to do?

Reactions: ARG

There are much cheaper ways of getting 1W blue lasers than taking apart an arctic.. The diodes themselves are available here in the buy/sell/trade section for around $45-55 shipped, and you can then buy a heatsink and flexmod driver for it. Once you've assembled the laser, it'll be a nearly perfect replacement module for just about any projector.

vk2fro

This is exactly what I am doing with my white light projector. It has a 405nm blue and I will be switching it over for one of the 445 diodes to get a better blue colour. The projector was purchased on ebay, and has a total of 500 mw. Later on I may upgrade the red and green for higher power, and all I will need to do is turn up the power on the blue laser. (at the present I will only need to run the blue 445 at 200 mw to match the other lasers