Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Survival Laser (Garoq's) New SL-SS2-LHA Stainless Steel Host!

Here is a wonderful New Host and now "Flagship Product" introduced by Gary at Survival Lasers a few days ago on his website Survival Laser Home and here on LPF.

I was given the honor to be the first customer to receive and review this new host sent to me 2/28/2012 and I got it today 3/2/2012.

It resembles the C-6 Host, but yet NOT the C-6 host in many different and wonderful ways including it's Stainless Steel, length and Weight.

This new Stainless Steel host's name is the SSL2HA.
Not only is it a sexy Stainless Steel body (My Favorite), it also boasts a Copper heatsink that is longer than the C-6 Hosts is and weights a very hefty 2+ ounces. 58G to be exact! WOW!!

The SSL2HA is not light on weight itself as it weights in at 8.30 Ounces with Copper Heatsink installed.

In comparison, the C-6 I weighted this morning was 4.73 total Ounces.

The SSL2HA host beats the C-6 host in weight by 3.57 ounces. Part of that is due to it's massive Heatsink!

The SSL2HA host is almost double the weight of the C-6 Host. Missing it by only 1.16 Ounces.

So, it's safe to say that it in NO way is the C-6 and is an excellent new host.

It requires two RCR123A Batteries or with the optional or included extension tube, depending on the option's that you go with, (the higher end parts bundle options will include the extension tube), two larger 18650 batteries to achieve longer total run times.

Of course you can always buy the 18650 extension tube as it too is an available accessory.

Options for this new flagship model are :
A 405-G-1 lens assembly or AixiZ lens
A Laser warning label
A Silicone lens cap
A Blue anodized extended focusing ring
A syringe of Arctic Silver™ Ceramique 2 high-performance thermal compound
2 rechargeable RCR123A batteries or more of course!
A dual RCR123A battery charger
A laser holster
A set of Eagle Pair OD4+ 190-540nm goggles (your choice of standard or slip over styles) Best on the market IMHO!
and
an 18650 battery extension tube allowing use of two 18650 Batteries in the unit for much longer operating time as stated above

As stated by Gary on his website...if you buy one of the bundle options:
"These packages include the laser host components, a diode and driver module, AR coated glass lens (405-G-1 high efficiency for SL-II), lens focusing ring, external lens spring (except SL-II bundles), lens cap, laser warning label and complete illustrated assembly and operation instructions and safety precautions. Parts bundles w/accessories include a set of Eagle Pair® OD4+ laser safety goggles, rechargeable batteries and a charger, and a holster. No soldering is required with any of our laser parts bundles".

Here is a picture of the new Laser Host with it's massive heatsink:
http://img.fw1.biz/resize/58770/sl-2_ss_host_heat _sink.jpg/250/360/0/

As you can see the SSL2HA is very beautiful and with a killer 2+ ouce heatsink it is able to run a Laser at 1.6W to 2W easily for your builds, should you not buy one of the parts bundles.

As always the parts bundle options are the best value, especially for LPF members!!!

Suggested operating cycle is 1 minute on to 2 minutes off.

I have no doubt however that you could run it longer than 1 minute with it's massive heatsink, copper Diode module and Ceramic Thermal Compound options (if not bought in the parts bundle options), and stainless steel body all playing a part in it's cooling!

I ran the laser during these tests for 2 minutes at a time over the recomened time limit and the body barely got warm.

The SSL2HA is being offered in a few different parts bundles or you will have the option of buying the separate parts to build your own. :D:

Gary says that the build your own models of SSL2HA's will NOT be branded Survival Laser and indeed mine did not come branded.

Time for my build pictures and beam shots!!!! :D:

Note:
I don't have an LPM but with the current set at 1.62A by Moh and a regular Aixiz lens, I would guess the output at under 1620mW or 1.620W.

The G-1 or G-2 lenses will get you much closer to the actual Current setting, so it would be at 1650mW or 1.650mW, however with a more efficient Diode it could be a higher output and of course with a lower efficient diode a lower output.

I need an LPM!!

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01240.jpg

DSC01241.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01247.jpg

Below is the SS2-LHA with JayRob's Ezfocuser......

DSC01249.jpg

Blue Clicky instead of Green Clicky.. Sorry Gary!! lol

DSC01250.jpg

Assembled unit waiting for it's Laser Warning Label..

DSC01253.jpg

Laser warning Sticker installed....

DSC01258.jpg

Side by Side with the C-6 Host.....

DSC01259.jpg

SS2-LHA Beamshots....

DSC01266.jpg

DSC01270.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01282.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

Here are a couple video's on my Photobucket site.....

20120302164631.mp4 video by JOHNAWESLEY - Photobucket

20120302170839.mp4 video by JOHNAWESLEY - Photobucket

A few pics of the Underneath of the Pill. The Driver is Moh's so he installed it enclosed with a nice blob of solder for the + connection to the CR123A Batteries.

I didn't have to use the Pill or Brass that Gary sent with the Host. So, I will have extras.

Moh's driver just screwed right into the SSH-L2A as though it was made for it. Nice!! To see Moh's work go to ... http://www.mohgasm.com/JAD.html

Excellent work I might add.

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01291.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

Now for the night shots I just took.....

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

DSC01308.jpg

DSC01309.jpg

poofoo.jpg

First of all at over 8.3 ounces with my Ezfocuser from JayRob this host is very heavy for it's size at slightly less than 5 inches, and I love the weight.

It's very very pleasing to the eyes as well and smooth as butter.

I am very pleased with my build and it went smoothly, as smooth as this host's slick body.

Construction was easy to understand and I love that the heatsink actually uses up the whole cavity of the top of the SSL2HA, and touches the drivers pill to distribute heat throughout the entire Host.. Good Job Gary!! :D:

This host is now my personnal favorite and I will take it everywhere with me and as I said earlier I'm getting around 1.620mW or a little lower of output since I'm not using a G-1 or G-2 Lens.

This Lasers Is BRIGHT!

Always wear safety protection ALWAYS!! One mistake and you could be doing a lot more hearing than seeing.

I too have fallen into thinking that I can shine it at this or that and be OK, but that logic is not for the wise.

Always wear your Safety glasses. For the best pair I've ever used and the price is the best as well:
http://img.fw1.biz/resize/58770/eagle_pair_goggles.jpg/250/360/0/

Oh ya, it also comes with a Lanyard:D: and a nice one at that. Plenty big to fit my large hands with no problems.

Get one of these lasers in Parts bundle form or buy the parts seperatly, you can't go wrong and it will quickly become one of your favorite hosts!

Gary's even working on different options for heatsinks and Focusers for this host.

Thanks again Gary for letting me review it for you, being the first customer to get one, and I wish you much success in the future! :D:

When I saw this beautiful Stainless Steel Host, I had to get one as it's plain awesome no doubt!!

Last edited:

Blord

Re: Survival Laser's New SL-SS2-LHA Stainless Steel Laser!

Looking good. Thanks for the review ! +1

Thank you Blord!!

Garoq

Excellent and prompt review John, and thank you for being the first to try our new product! :bowdown:

Any way to see the underside of the pill and how the driver is installed?

I have to wait before giving you a rep again. :whistle:

Last edited:

Gary,

I took some pics of the underside of the pill for you.

I didn't have to install Moh's driver any special way, except to just screw it in and make sure that it was tight.;)

Like I said in the review, getting your SSH-L2A, Moh's Driver set to 1.62A or 1.8A and DTR's 445NM Laser diode's, it was super easy to build this laser.:) Thanks Everyone!

It's very rewarding to know that you built something this nice.

This would be my favorite host whether or not I built it! Building it just makes it all the better!!

I am honored to have done this review for you. :bowdown:

You have an excellent and Heavy(lol) Host and it's now my Favorite! :thanks:

I love everything about it!!

I was just outside last night for the night beamshots, and after 3 minutes the host just got barely warm, so it's heatsink works like a champ.

Also, I just ordered some Blue Glow Powder to dress up the Laser.. I have added some pics for everyone..

BlueGlow.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

DSC01316.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01318.jpg

DSC01319.jpg

DSC01320.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

Last edited:

Garoq

Interesting look with the glow rings, I have never seen those before (I live under a rock). Although the host ships with GITD o-rings in the threaded joints.

The grooves on the tailcap look like a perfect place for them. :)

Nice pics!! I too notice that in one of your pics the beam came out a bit purple. Interesting... all cameras seem to have a slightly different pickup for this particular wavelength.
That is a really lovely host you got there. :worthy:

Last edited:
Nice pics there!!
That is a really lovely host you got there. :cheers: :worthy:

Thank you for the kudo's on my pics.:yh:

You're right about that, because at certain times the beam will be Purple and at other times Blue.

I noticed that on my camera it's purple just before sunset and after sunset it's Blue. Strange I know but I think it's in the white balance.

I'm using the Sony WX9 camera.

Yes, Gary's host is beautiful in every way!

Last edited:
That is a crazy host design! I would get one if only they shape it differently from the C6 and made it smaller.
But, I love hefty weight and and that giant heatsink is probably my favourite feature!

oo... 100th post.

Last edited:
That is a crazy host design! I would get one if only they shape it differently from the C6 and made it smaller.
But, I love hefty weight and and that giant heatsink is probably my favourite feature!

oo... 100th post.

Trust me when I say that it's only Like the C-6 in certain ways.

It's not smaller than the C-6 but like you say, that gives it better heatsinking ability.:yh:

It's different in every way! It's longer, It's Weight at 8.3 total Ounces vs. the 4.3 Ounces of the C-6, It's massive heatsink and it's stainless steel Body.

Get one and you will be happy you did.

Congrats on your 100th Post!!! :wave:

Last edited:

Garoq

It's actually a bit smaller in diameter than the C6. But if it was much smaller it wouldn't be as heavy. ;)

It's actually a bit smaller in diameter than the C6. But if it was much smaller it wouldn't be as heavy. ;)

Yes, it's smaller in diameter, but longer in length for sure and it's twice as heavy as the C-6 and oh ya it's STAINLESS STEEL!! :beer:

Thanks again Gary for this awesome host!!!:yh: