Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

super small laser pointer

Joined
Nov 30, 2008
Messages
4
Likes
0
Points
0
Im looking for a laser pointer that is about an inch or two long and 3/8 of an inch wide but can be seen from about a mile away. If there is a laser that meets this specification could someone tell me where i can get it? Also if someone could tell me where a private maker of lasers in the New york/ Pennsylvania/ New Jersey area could be found? Thanks in Advance :)
 

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Likes
622
Points
0
wizard70782 said:
Im looking for a laser pointer that is about an inch or two long and 3/8 of an inch wide but can be seen from about a mile away.  If there is a laser that meets this specification could someone tell me where i can get it?  Also if someone could tell me where a private maker of lasers in the New york/ Pennsylvania/ New Jersey area could be found?  Thanks in Advance :)

You should describe what you mean by "seen." Do you mean that you can see the light if someone shines it AT you? Do you mean that you can see the dot if you are standing next to where it is hitting? Do you mean that you can see the dot if you are the one shining the laser?

Peace,
dave
 

iewed

New member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
797
Likes
2
Points
0
I doubt you'll find anything that's 3/8 of an inch thick, however this comes pretty close. Here is another possibility, but like I said, 3/8 of an inch thick would be pretty hard to find.
(Both of these lasers could be seen much further than a mile away)
 

daguin

New member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
16,636
Likes
622
Points
0
iewed said:
I doubt you'll find anything that's 3/8 of an inch thick, however this comes pretty close.  Here is another possibility, but like I said, 3/8 of an inch thick would be pretty hard to find.
(Both of these lasers could be seen much further than a mile away)

Depending on the answer to the questions I posed above, this COULD be built with one of the smaller "chip-type" red lasers or using the module associated with them, using button batteries as a power source. However, you are not going to get much power output with this combination. Does it need to be portable with the batteries integral with the housing or can you power it from an external source?

Peace,
dave
 

frogger

New member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
273
Likes
0
Points
0
I doubt thats gonna have the kind of range he's looking for.
I saw that flying-eagle guy in the BST section and he actually had a cool product.
It was a super-mini green module.
May be worth looking into...
 
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
1,734
Likes
48
Points
0
Here's a little laser I was playing around with, using a couple of lithium button cells and the 5mW laser that comes in aixiz modules... It was much brighter till I accidentally left it on overnight... Still, I'd use much bigger batteries if I was going to try this again.. It's slightly over 3/8ths of an inch, it's 10mm in diameter.

Here's a little module you can use, dunno how you'll power it, but it's a start: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13378 or http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13591

I've also seen on parts supplier sites like digikey they have these really tiny modules that include a lens and a driver in a single component, and are something like 5mm in diameter and 10mm long or so.. Again, batteries will be the biggest component.
 

Attachments

Benm

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
8,000
Likes
664
Points
113
daguin said:
You should describe what you mean by "seen."  Do you mean that you can see the light if someone shines it AT you?  Do you mean that you can see the dot if you are standing next to where it is hitting?  Do you mean that you can see the dot if you are the one shining the laser?
Always a good question to ask, but always a hard answer to give too. Seeing the laser shining at you from a mile, does that mean in total darkness, moonlit night, daytime, height of summer at noon?

In the dark the limit is usually the horizon, a 1 mW red pointer is easily the brightest object in the night at a mile distance.
 

Xplorer877

New member
Joined
Oct 24, 2008
Messages
1,060
Likes
52
Points
0
hashlasersdosei said:
1mW can go about a mile
(face=>palm)
Through fog or a vacuum? Light waves travel indefinably. Through our atmosphere, however, they get diffused by particles in the air. 1mW will not be seen after a mile in average standard conditions. Lasers also diverge! Even a good divergence of <1mRad will yield a beam 5 ft across.
 




Top